Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting to the point on my build where I need to consider chain options. I am planning to go with a 530 on my 80 kz1000 b4. Is there anything I should consider before doing so?
What type of chain?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Short version,

You get what you pay for with chains.
My 84 Gpz900's chain and sprocket set up was close to $200.
Third season and wear is normal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 7 inches over on my swingarm any ideas on how many links I am gonna need over the stock 630 chain. I know its gonna be high having the longer chain but that was expected.

·
Registered
265 Posts
OK, I did the math for you. Stock chain is 630x92 links, which is 69" long. Add 14" for the longer swingarm (7" on the top and 7" on the bottom) for 83" total. A 530 chain works out to 132.8 links, so you will need a 132 or 134 link chain. You'll probably end up having to buy a 140 or 150 link chain and cut it to length. This all assumes you will be using sprockets with the same diameter, which will both have more teeth than the 15 and 33 originals due to the smaller chain size. If you post what the new sprockets sizes are, I can figure it out exactly, or just buy the 150 link chain and trial fit it, then cut it to length. If the new sprockets have the same number of teeth as the old ones, you can get by with a 130 link chain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that. I was thinking about the same, I didnt want to get stuck buying 2 chains or just going way over. I was hoping someone has done this same mod and had an idea on the chain length. I went ahead and got a 150 link anyway.
Now my other concern is the front sprocket offset. I lined it up with a laser to get an idea and it looks close. I am going from a 3.5 wheel and a 130 tire to a 5.5 wheel and a 180 tire. I have only needed to add a spacer to the sprocket side, which looks close, but I guess I wont know untill I get the chain . I am hoping this goes together without a hitch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts