Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I don't know what is happening around the country, but throughout Florida, departments have been opting to lease BMW and Honda ST1300's for their new cruisers. It was explained to me that they will be saving enough money to offest the federal grant program. In addition that they "ride cooler" than the HD. These guys love there HD's, as they should. They are sweet machines.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
Where I live the cops are given a monthly allowance to buy whatever bike they want, and get to keep the bike when they retire, or get off of that patrol (of course the allowance stops when they get off the patrol), so there is a mix, one even has a busa, a few with the Concourse and of course the typical HD's and BMW's.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I talk with one LEO that explained besides the huge cost savings, they just needed more power. The HD's just do not have the legs that a sport touring bike has.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well I can think back a long time ago when the CHiP's started to swap over from the big HD's to the KZ 1000. My goodnes you would have thought the sky was falling. But as the guys rode them more and found they were quicker, more manouverable, cheaper to maintain etc they grew pretty fond of them. My brother bought a used BMW from a Miami Fl area PD. That was one of the first bikes I got to rid eon the back of. I was hooked. A few years later one of my other brothers got a brand spanking new Honda 750 4. WOW I was in heaven so I thought. The big HD's have thier place and work well for some things, I would guess mainly highway work. But get them in town and stop and go slow stuff they probably overheat. You dont have that problem on a Concours, Honda st ot BMW. You'd think they (HD) would figure out how to put the water cooled V-rod motor in a chassis that could be used.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
HD has a water cooled engine in the V rod, but the die hard's won't accept it in a touring model, or any other model for that matter, I rode my 1200 Sportster in the high 90 deg heat and it was very un comfortable at stop lights, especially if you got caught at a light waiting on a funeral.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Sometime back we got to test the ST1300 and the GoldWing (we now ride HD Road Kings). We then voted as to which bike we wanted. To a man, the GoldWing won. The GW was first, 1300 second, and HD third. The person who signs the checks is an HD man so we are stll riding HDs.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
HD has a water cooled engine in the V rod, but the die hard's won't accept it in a touring model, or any other model for that matter, I rode my 1200 Sportster in the high 90 deg heat and it was very un comfortable at stop lights, especially if you got caught at a light waiting on a funeral.
Not being water cooled is one of a few things that turned my wife and me away from HDs when we were bike shopping. I personally think that is a huge plus HD is missin' out on.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yea dont get me wrong, the main reason I'm riding a Kawai is price. Well price and the salesman at our then open now closed HD dealer. Thats another story. I have since been looking towards the Victory's. At least them guys were smart enough to put an oil cooler on them from the factory. I think the only HD that comes with a cooler is the flat tracker looking one, and then they just sort of got it stuck out there on the side. Really looks like an after thought.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Sometime back we got to test the ST1300 and the GoldWing (we now ride HD Road Kings). We then voted as to which bike we wanted. To a man, the GoldWing won. The GW was first, 1300 second, and HD third. The person who signs the checks is an HD man so we are stll riding HDs.
Wow. Too bad the higher ups weren't more enlightened. You would hope that the people at the top would listen to the folks actually using the machinery. This is not meant as an HD bashing comment to all those out there ready to flame. I would make the same comment if the HD's had been the bike of choice.

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
The same thing is happening here. After years of using either Harley or BMW motorcycles, the Victoria BC Police Department switched a couple of years ago to Honda ST1300s -- a move described as a first to that model for any North American police force, and unanimously voted on by the cops who tested them. They described the new motorcycles as "faster, lighter, more powerful, having better braking, easier to manoeuvre, and having a better warranty." In contrast the Vancouver police force stuck with Harleys as they were cheaper to repair after a drop, and sell for almost the same price the force pays for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know about Florida, but our department here in Southern California purchases all our bikes outright. Our city charter states that ALL city owned equipment, property, city holdings, and city owned vehicles must be sold at public auction at the end of the usefulness of the item or the property.

Consequently, we opted not to go for the HD $4K "any condition" buy back plan, or the BMW two year lease plan. Neither plan would save us any money.

We survey our bikes out of our motor fleet about every three years, or 80k miles. We usually only get between $800 to $1,000 each for them at auction.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I don't know about Florida, but our department here in Southern California purchases all our bikes outright. Our city charter states that ALL city owned equipment, property, city holdings, and city owned vehicles must be sold at public auction at the end of the usefulness of the item or the property.

Consequently, we opted not to go for the HD $4K "any condition" buy back plan, or the BMW two year lease plan. Neither plan would save us any money.

We survey our bikes out of our motor fleet about every three years, or 80k miles. We usually only get between $800 to $1,000 each for them at auction.

Is there a web link to when the next auction might be?

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my area they started off with BMW's but switched to HD because BMW told them they had to bring the bikes to there mechanics HD told them they could use there mechanis and would give them all the parts they needed. I did see a leo at the bike shop taking in his old BMW to get serviced so that he can put it back in service. Said HD didnt have the turning radius and was less agile.

·
NEW VULCAN, OLD RIDER
734 Posts
Each brand and model has its pluses and minuses. I was quite fond of the half dozen KZ 1000Ps I had from 1989 to 2003. I hated the 2003 BMW I was issued because it had a wider turning radius than the Kawi and went through 3 clutches in 15,000 miles. My 2007 BMW was an entirely different bike with much better handling than the older model. I only test rode a Harley police bike for half a day but that was long enough to convince me I wouldn't have wanted to spend 4 ten hour shifts a week on it. I haven't ridden the Honda ST1300 but it is my understanding that they are quicker than the Beemers and have good handling. They are definately more economical for a city to own and operate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts