Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my tires this spring and was going to do it myself but I was reading my service manual last night and it says that you have to have them professionally installed because the tires are "too tight" to install by hand. I know they are "low profile" radials, but has anyone changed their own tires? and had any problems using hand tools? Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Bross:
Chaqnging your tires is a job that you can perform. In fact, you would be much better off doing it yourself and using hand tools since the machinery used by the dealer or shop could damage your wheels. nobody cares about your property like you do. Chances are, the shop or dealer would use hand tools, called tire spoons, themselves. If you go to a sight like DENNIS KIRK or any simular accessory place, you can buy the tools needed for tire changes for a nominal price and then you will always have them. They sell a BEAD BREAKER, TIRE SPOONS AND RIM SAVERS. Basically, thats all you need. The bead breaker breaks the bead of the tire away from the seating rim, the rim savers are plastic pieces that go on the outer edge of the rim and protects the rim from the spoons that you are going to use to work the tire over the lip of the rim. Then you just reverse the proceedure to install the new tires. Use soapy water to lubricate the new tire so to make it easier to slide onto the rim. You might want to change the valve stem also while you have the tire off with a new one. Just take your time and be careful and you wont hurt anything, including yourself. they even sell a very reasonably priced balancer so you can balance the tire when your finished changing it. Hey, if you get stuck while doing it, take it to a shop. At least you tried. But im sure you'll succeed. Take your time, be patient, wear gloves, use common sense. Check on line. There are sights to go to that take you step by step on how to change a tire and offer pictures to explain. Theres a great sight for lots of info on do it yourself. www.gadgetjq.com Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts