Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK changed oil cause peep hole level was soild. Change all out an drained screen plug put in between hi an low marks on peep 3.5 quarts rode to work next day check oil peep is soild again. What would cause this

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
You have not told us the year or model of your bike so we don't know if it is liquid cooled or air cooled and we don't know if it is carbs or FI. If liquid, you may have a coolant leak into your engine oil.

If carbs, you may be leaking gasoline into your oil.

Both of the above can raise the level of your oil quite quickly and needless to say, both of which are very bad for your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have not told us the year or model of your bike so we don't know if it is liquid cooled or air cooled and we don't know if it is carbs or FI. If liquid, you may have a coolant leak into your engine oil.

If carbs, you may be leaking gasoline into your oil.

Both of the above can raise the level of your oil quite quickly and needless to say, both of which are very bad for your engine.
Liquid cool 2000 kawasaki vulcan 800 classic

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
It should not smell like gasoline. You probably have a fuel leak. If you remove the air filter can you see gasoline or get a strong smell of gasoline in the airbox?

Is your bike fuel injected?

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
With those low miles it is likely just dirt stuck in the float valve. If you have tools you can probably find a video to walk you through how to do it.

But before you put yourself through all that, I would drain the oil into a super clean container and observe how it flows as it drains. If it flows like water and smells of gasoline you will know what the problem is. The final check is to measure how much oil came out. You put in 3.5 quarts and if you drained say 4 quarts your problem is confirmed.

If only 3.5 quarts come out, then the problem is something else and you can put the oil back in if you kept it clean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With those low miles it is likely just dirt stuck in the float valve. If you have tools you can probably find a video to walk you through how to do it.

But before you put yourself through all that, I would drain the oil into a super clean container and observe how it flows as it drains. If it flows like water and smells of gasoline you will know what the problem is. The final check is to measure how much oil came out. You put in 3.5 quarts and if you drained say 4 quarts your problem is confirmed.

If only 3.5 quarts come out, then the problem is something else and you can put the oil back in if you kept it clean.
When I first change it was like water an smelled like gas. 805cc motor

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
When I first change it was like water an smelled like gas. 805cc motor
That pretty much confirms it. Time to clean the float valve. I would suspect that there is dirt in the tank. Might be a good idea to flush it out and add an inline fuel filter to keep dirt from getting to the carb in the first place.

Might be a good idea to install new fuel line as well. The inside can rot and send rubber debris down to your carbs. The lines are 22 years old now.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A fuel filter is a must. I like the ones that show the fuel flowing. That oil can be felt through your finger tips. The smell of gas in the oil confirms you have fuel pouring into the crankcase. If you can feel your finger prints, the oil is shot. A very dangerous situation. If it has a vacuum setting on the petcock, it could be stuck open, which would be like leaving the bike in the prime position. That's easy to check. When the tank is off, put the pet **** in all positions, and see if fuel comes out. Suck on the vacuum line, that should open the fuel petcock opening. If it is pouring gas with out vacuum, you need to rebuild, or purchase a petcock, or put in an On/Off switch line, and remember to shut it off when you are done riding. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts