Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 2000 800A with 6,000 miles. Started it up and running on 1 cyl.
Back cyl. isn't firing. A young person with not much mechanical sense own it. I will probably have to help him change the plugs. What does it take to change the plugs?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't know what model an 800A is, but if you feel the need to change the sparkplugs at 6000 miles, there are three possible reasons:
a) you're misdiagnosing and there is some other problem
b) this mysterious "young person" has done what so many dummies do and bought a jet kit. The average jet kit simply over-richens the mixture and will be more prone to fouling plugs. Unless this young person had an O2 sensor hooked to custom-brazed junctures in the exhaust header pipes, I would assume that they've gone and bought a g**d***ed stage 1 jet kit. Going back to stock jetting will make your plugs last longer and give you better fuel economy.
c) the "young person" let the bike idle for several minutes with the choke on right before the plugs "went bad". If this is the case, a nice ride on the interstate at 70+ for an hour with the choke off will clean off the plugs and solve all problems.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Spookyb4 said:
I am looking at 2000 800A with 6,000 miles. Started it up and running on 1 cyl.
Back cyl. isn't firing. A young person with not much mechanical sense own it. I will probably have to help him change the plugs. What does it take to change the plugs?

The rear cylinder is carboned from running it too easy. Run a can of sea foam through it.

bluestringer

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Ahhhhhh.....I LOVE SEAFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :):):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts