Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my front brakes and now the brake has to be pumped for it to work. I have blead the brake line but I dont't know if I have done it right. Please give me any info on how to fix this. Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
you got air in your lines. :( where are you located anyways ????
first i would beg/steal/borrow 30$ and get yourself a MITY-VAC (car parts store will have them) buy your brake fluid while there (dot 3,4,5.1)
after you get the MITY-VAC (put it together as per the directions), set the bikes bars so that the resy is flat., put some old t-shirts etc on the tank to protect it, pull the cap off,
pop the adapter from the mity-vac onto the bleeder on your left caliper. get your 8mm wrench and brake the bleeder loose, then START PUMPING, KEEP AN EYE ON THE LEVEL OF FLUID IN THE RESY keep sucking till your just about to empty the resy THEN STOP PUMPING/CLOSE BLEEDER refill your resy and move to the right side caliper, repeat above steps, refill, put cap on (watch for overflow) and lever should be back to normal. (water will clean up any spills) DO NOT LET IT GET ON YOUR PAINTED SURFACES !!!!
if you want to do it the old fashion way, put a small tube on the bleeder, put the other end in a jar half full of brake fluid, pump up the brake lever,pop the bleeder open till the lever is ALMOST to the bar, then close it, repeat till no move bubbles come up in the fluid in the bottle. keep an eye on the resy level DO NOT RUN DRY do the same for the other side.
good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I tried the old fasion way but I don't think it got all the air out of the line. I will buy the pump and hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It sounds like air in the line.

QKENUF4U is a pro, and he knows how to do the job right. But I've never bought a pump. I just open the bleed and pump the brakes. It's easier if you have someone to fill the reservoir for you, but I usually do it myself, and I've had no trouble. Wasting some brake fluid is cheaper than buying a pump.

If the only air bubble is in the caliper, you can hold the brake lever, then just barely crack open the bleed until the air is out.
Curt

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the reason behind me doing it with the MITY-VAC is because the old pump it by hand way takes longer and doesnt do as good a job in my experiences. :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
it works easier to do it the old school way if you have two people!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts