Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how often should you change the brakes on an EX500? What are good brakes to use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
brakes

these are good, u should change them as soon as they look worn to about 1/4 of the brake is left

here are the pads i use for my 02 500r

http://www.newportcycleparts.com

Prices are:
EBC Organic (Kevlar) Pads Fronts (FA129-SN): $27.95
EBC Organic (Kevlar) Pads Rear (FA67/3): $24.95

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
do a inspection of your brakes when you change the oil in your bike, when they get past 1/4 of the pad left replace them as said before. I worked my stock ones for 12,000 miles and they were SHOT. depending on riding conditions (city/highway) changes how long they last.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think it's time to change mine, then. mine's got about 10K miles on it, and i'm sure the original owner didn't change them. what site is good to order new brake pads?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kazama said:
i think it's time to change mine, then. mine's got about 10K miles on it, and i'm sure the original owner didn't change them. what site is good to order new brake pads?
Look up two posts.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BRAKES

Before you just buy brakes chat with Beartooth Kawasaki about what brakes that they carry and their prices. Just like cars and different bikes there are different brakes for the way you ride, and in the weather that you ride in. It would be a diferent pad in southern California versus the ones that I had in Seattle, Washington because of difference in weather conditions for the same bike. If you are on the Interstate most of the time, city most of the time, and depending upon the typical weather conditions. Just like which plugs should you use. The book says...yeah...yeah...If you are riding 6 miles from your door to work at maybe 45 mph and it's winter, you need a different plug than one that you would use in the summer riding from San Diego to Los Angeles, CA everyday. I'm exagerating ??? NO, I'm not! Brakes, next to tires are the most important thing on your bike. the greatest brakes in the world aren't worth a cent if your tires aren't working for you.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I would also recommend going to a dealership, beartooth preferred. but I got my fronts from the local dealership for about 1 buck more than it cost me online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts