Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I could use some advice.

I bought my bike used from a private owner. He had already replaced the stock grips, but I want to put some Kuryakyn ISO grips on the bike. The grips that are on the bike now are nice ones--metal. How on earth do I get them off? I tried to find some help on the web, but the only thing I could find was instructions for cutting off rubber grips with a razor knife!

Kuryakyn recommends using the glue they enclose for installing the ISO grips. If the grips that are on my bike now were installed with glue... HELP! Any advice? I put on my windshield and lowers myself, but this gal doesn't know as much as she'd like to about these things.

Thanks in advance.

Julie

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if they are GLUED on then the only thing i can think of to get them off is a HEAT GUN/BLOW DRIER set to high.
good luck

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that! :cry:

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Metal grips that will be a tough one ,But like Qken said before heat the grips, get them real hot an twist an pull . BY the way get some good glove's for the heat ,when you twist . IF you have too, get a pipe wrench to twist with. the grips will probaly be trashed if you have to use the pipe wrench. good luck an let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would cut the end off with a 3 inch cutoff tool, a little at a time until the handlebar is exposed. Then I'd carefully slice the grip lengthwise to weaken it. using the end of the bar as a guide, I'd cut all the way through the grip at the end of the bar to enable a screwdriver to slip in and pry the weakened grip along the slice. If you have experience with the cutoff tool, you could just cut through until the slice is completely exposing the handlebar, then pry. That's what I'd do. Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron 8)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, everyone.

I guess I'll try the heat first. If I can't get them off that way, I'll have to start cutting, I suppose. Either way, it doesn't sound fun. I'll be happy to get those new grips on, though!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
grips

don't know what kind of glue was used on those grips, but i have removed ISO grips by hand. i hand to change my handlebars on my bike due to the dealer wrecking them when they picked up my bike for service. i was able to get the grip that was glues off by just giving it a good twist. and i mean a GOOD twist. you might want to just try the pipe wrench or slip joint plyers on the grip without heat, you may be able to break it loose. either way, i recommend scraping the old glue off before installing the new grip. you want to make sure those things don't come off on you !!! good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts