Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am looking for the part number for a recommended oil filter and a recommended semi-synthetic oil.

I've looked around in the forum but have not found anything as of yet.

Thanks and Happy New year!

Ty

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CalPaul!

I just realized I did not mention my bike is a 2006 Nomad, does that matter?

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Hello all!

I am looking for the part number for a recommended oil filter and a recommended semi-synthetic oil.

Ty
I'd have to second the PL14612 and either Amsoil 10W-40 MCF or Mobil-1 10W-40 Racing 4T (used to be called MX4T).

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Hello all!

Ty
WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion. Works good last a long time. Probably better than the stock filter because it is longer and hand more filter media. Then go with a good synthetic. I use Mobile 1 Gold Cap.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Wally-World ST7317 & M-1 or Castrol Syn-tech

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just did my annual oil change today. Wally World oil filter #ST7317 about $3.00 & Shell Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic about $17.00 = $20.00 total.

·
Shaner
10 Posts
Hi TyGuy. Have you found a location in Calgary yet that supplies oil filters for the Nomad 1600? I live in Okotoks and I also am looking for oil filters for the 1600 Nomad, something good but cheaper than $15 Kawasaki filter.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Hello all!

Ty
You might find this useful ---> Filter Options

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
LOL I just noticed the date this thread was started DOH !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All, I bought a 2008 Vulcan Nomad and love it, it's coming up to the 12k oil change It says plugs oil and filter change also gear box, any suggetstions?
Bear
2008 Vulcan Nomad

·
Shaner
10 Posts
Hey All, I bought a 2008 Vulcan Nomad and love it, it's coming up to the 12k oil change It says plugs oil and filter change also gear box, any suggetstions?
Bear
2008 Vulcan Nomad
If you have one, don't over oil your K&N air filter. I've heard that oil misting from the filter can mess up some sensors in the throttle body. Some people suggest stick with the Kawasaki paper filter. As for oil filters, next time you're cruising in Montana, go to Walmart or K-mart and pick up a dozen of the Purolator PureOne PL14612 for about $5 each or the Walmart ST 6607 for about $3 or $4 each. Both are good oil filters for the Vulcan 1600. Changing spark plugs is easy on the 1600. I suggest use a thread compound to prevent plug siezing but keep it away from the ends of the threads so you don't get any in the cylinders. Careful not to over-tourque the plugs or your cylinders are screwed. Rear diff fluid is easy too. Loosen and swing the muffler down to gain access to the rear differential plugs, fill only until oil runs out of the top plug with the bike level. Don't overfill, it can cause seal leaks and reduce your fuel economy.

The 1600 Nomad is a great bike, I love mine! Happy riding!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts