Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the oil cycle is listed in the manual in terms of miles driven, but do motorcycles have time limits like cars, for example every 3 months or 3000 miles? Just curious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd say those time limits, like three months, are just because the oil companies want us to buy more oil. You car manual does not specify time limits for oil either. Just mileage. I would say the truth is that oil breaks down through use, not time. I would not leave it in there forever, though. If you do your own maintainance, then the costs are reasonable, if you use non-motorcycle specific oils. Special motorcycle oils, I have determined, are a bunch of crap. Apparently, so is "synthetic" oil. Nearly all of the synthetics available now are not manmade oil, just highly refined dead dinosaurs. Shell car synthetic is still man-made base, but not the Rotella Synthetic. Weird, I know. In any event, if you don't ride that much, I would change the oil at the end of your actice riding period, to get the gunk (that's acid, and soot) out of the motor before you shove it in the garage for the winter. If you keep riding all year, as I plan to, in Florida, then I would say every three months is reasonable. Depends on local conditions, and the rider. Hot dog + dusty conditions= more changes. Easy going + easy conditions=fewer changes. Your mileage may vary. LOL That was kinda funny. CB

·
Registered
456 Posts
I generally agree with Villaven. I change at the end of the riding season, so the acids which build up in my oil don't eat up my engine. Other than that, I'll change it every 3,000 miles.

But I do think that motorcycle oils and synthetic oils are better for motorcycles than non-synthetic car oils. They are really not much better, and they are several times the price, but I think the little tiny bit better is worth the difference in cost.
Curt

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You just don't want the bike to sit for extended periods of time in used oil (hence winterizing the bike).

This has never been a problem for me though, I always hit miles before any time limitation. Even in the cold winter months. :lol:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Winterize the bike???? 52 weeks of riding in Sunny Ca. too sunny right now 104. I agree with dumping the oil at the end of the season and winterizing the bike. Good preventative maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts