Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys put about a 1000 miles on my bike since I got it from the shop, I neer got the manual with the bike so I need a little assistance doing the oil change.

Any help, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

PS bike only have like 1300 miles on it putting in reg auto Dino oil

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Tip:

Buy an oil drain pan from Walmart or any auto parts store. I got the one that has a large mouth 12" or more, a plastic screen so your drain plug doesn't drop into the oil and you have to fish it out and a lid that screws on. When I'm done, I simply close up the lid and it has another little spout to drain when I take the oil to the auto store.

Run your bike around the block before you change your oil. You just to warm up your oil a little and then drain it.

Remove your drain plug first and after no more oil comes out or very little, then do your filter.

Tilt your bike carefully to your left and right and get as much of the oil out.

I usually take a lunch break while the oil empty's out.

Place some oil on the new filter gaskets and reassemble!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a couple other things....

The oil and filter can be changed without removing the left side faring. Just take the two bolts out of the bottom front (one on each side) and then pop out the black plastic piece below the radiator. This does two things.
First, it allows you to pull the faring out about an inch, giving a little extra room to gain access to the filter retaining clamp bolt with your allen wrench.
Second, it allows room to go in from the right side with a filter "tool." By that I mean the little cap with a 3/8 square drive hole in it to allow proper torquing. There is a special tool number in the service manual, but your local shop should have one to fit it. It is important to torque the filter to the proper spec to prevent leaking. The spec is 23 ft-lbs. If you hand tighten it, IT WILL LEAK!
Don't worry about oil leaking down into the inside of your farings when you take off the filter, because there is a space below it to allow the oil to drain to the ground.

Of course, you can go ahead and take the whole left side faring off if you want, but it can be done with it on.

You mentioned "auto Dino" oil. What the heck is that? I would not use anything but oil made for motorcycles. There are different additives in car oil.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"auto dino oil" is referring to car pertoleum oil vs synthetic.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL&Filter

IF you are changing it at 3,000 miles you won't have any problems. When you get it broke in you may find 100% AMSOIL or 100% Mobile 1 to be great oil. Juat toss the filter nad check the oil...the oil is good for about 50,000 miles IF you change the filter an a 5,000 mile interval, or sooner if it starts to darken up. IF for some reason you don't want to believe my you can purchase a sample kit that will give you a breakdown of hte exact amount of chemicals found in your oil///it's wort ig if you are trying to make a believer out of yourself or a bunch of nonbelievers...

·
Registered
412 Posts
How many miles is considered broke in to start using synth?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Broke -in

When your gas mileage starts staying the same, it will keep increasing as it breaks in, then you will know that it is is near. Go to the next 5,000 mile interval and then change it over...that way you are always changing oil or at least filter every even 5,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts