Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im changing my factory rear sproket to a nice new one. I have the wheel off and on the table but i cant undo the nuts and bolts. We have had 2 people trying. 1 holding the wheel and 1 pulling on allenkey/spanner. Is there a speacil thing to do or a nak to this?

Reply with and advice or comments

Thanks
Ross

·
Registered
731 Posts
never had any hassle changing mine try shocking them by either hitting the end of the allen key with a hammer or your hand a sharp shock should do it if not try loosening the nuts with a spanner a tube to put over spanner for more leverage and a couple of mates holding it

·
Registered
895 Posts
when i got mine the allen bolts where stuck solid i had to use the 2" air impact wrench(a normal one is 1/4") at my mates work to get the bolts undone and that stuggled, the easiest way is to gentely heat the bolts up with a gas/blow torch until they glow red then they become easier to move

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Take the nuts off first, with a wrench! Don't try to loosen them up via the Allen heads. If they wont come off with a constant force, take a small hammer and give a nice whack. That should break the loctite, and allow the nuts to come off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can't get enough leverage on an Allen wrench to break them loose- you'll strip out the recessed Allen hex inside the head of the bolt before the bolt breaks loose. You need to hold the bolt with the allen wrench and turn the nut with a box end wrench. Be sure and turn the wrench the correct direction- righty tighty, lefty loosey -when looking directly at the nut.

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
I always use my impact gun when removing mine and have no issues. I always use Snap On tools not that others wont work that is just what tools I use. I also install new sprockets bolts and use red loctite the locks on the nuts once busted loose do not lock the same. If you reuse them just keep an eye on them. They cost me 8.99 for a new set so I was not that worried about it 8.99 is definitely worth my safety.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with iracekx. Impact the nuts off and throw away the old hardware and install new nuts/bolts. You won't be able to get all the old nuts and bolts torqued correctly as the old loctite will help strip out the old hardware and wrench's will be flying. Also like someone else mentioned drill the allen heads off and it will work faster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts