Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told it can be done without taking the motor out.
anyone here know if you need a special wrench? very tight spot regular tools will not fit in the spaces to take it off. The bike is a 1994 vulcan 88 1500.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I usually end up making my own in situations like that. IE I cut some lenght off the short end of an allen wrench or take an open end wrench and weld a socket to it to make a socket end wrench that fits tight places but will turn the corner and get to a recessed nut.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Wow.... pull the engine to get the valve cover off? Now I don't feel so bad about the misery my 750 twin is putting me through.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
ok my 2 cents. i just figured out how to get my valve cover off my zx11 today. believe me it was no easy task. the **** frame is about 1/4 in from the top of the cover. it took alot (and i mean alot) of wiggling and turning all sorts of ways until i found the right angle and she slid out like a hot knife on butter. you shouldnt have to pull the whole motor out for a valve cover. if so, i would find out who designed the bike at the time it was made and tell him/her they are a dumbass. i think if you just wiggle it youll find the right way. just be patient it took me almost a week to figure mines out.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
ok my 2 cents. i just figured out how to get my valve cover off my zx11 today. believe me it was no easy task. the **** frame is about 1/4 in from the top of the cover. it took alot (and i mean alot) of wiggling and turning all sorts of ways until i found the right angle and she slid out like a hot knife on butter. you shouldnt have to pull the whole motor out for a valve cover. if so, i would find out who designed the bike at the time it was made and tell him/her they are a dumbass. i think if you just wiggle it youll find the right way. just be patient it took me almost a week to figure mines out.
You would be surprised how many new performance cars there are that reguire the engine to be pulled to change the spark plugs...... on the upside, the plugs supposedly last 50k miles.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it off last night. not so bad after you take off all the air crap for the carbs on it. new gasket should b in weds. so this ones done.

Here's another one for everybody, I'm repainting the bike i.e. tank, fenders, side covers. what color would you do and what sceem do you like?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I got it off last night. not so bad after you take off all the air crap for the carbs on it. new gasket should b in weds. so this ones done.

Here's another one for everybody, I'm repainting the bike i.e. tank, fenders, side covers. what color would you do and what sceem do you like?
Glad to hear you got it done. Paint suggestions? Here ya go.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hehe.. rhyno liner black?

That's a popular one on ex-500.com :p

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
as far as paint is concerned. me personally i like the black and blue schemes. specifically electric blue and black. Both made by Dodge. I forget what the black is called but it is pretty. it is sorta like a black with silver pearl. it is a sexy black to me and when you put the electric blue with it. i like it. i did my zx11 with those two colors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts