Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with TourMaster chaps?
Are they quality, do they provide any warmth when riding in 50f weather?

Also anynthoughts on the best balaclava for 50f.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Anything that breaks the wind is going to help in 50 and under. Personally I prefer textile type overpants that give full coverage- not open in the crotch and butt like chaps are.

I don't know the name of it but I have a balaclava that is fleece on the neck area and then a poly type fabric on the head, so it doesn't affect your helmet fit but keeps your neck warm. The neck piece is big enough that you can bring it up over your chin if you need to. I only use it on real cold rides- 50 isn't so bad.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Doug,

I tried chaps for a while, and the areas they covered stayed warm.

I decided after a while though, that when riding in the rain that the parts that get wet, shouldn't be...
And in a crash, I think I'd rather have road rash on my legs than my privates...

I started wearing leather overalls.
Covers everything, plus gives another layer of protection high up on my chest and back, both from road rash, and cold.

I regularly ride in 35-40 degree weather and stay comfortable.
I have a basic fleece balaclava that doesn't feel bulky, and then use a regular winter scarf to cover the open section of my neck.
Works great!
You can buy one that tucks under your jacket, but it is still just 1 thin layer, the scarf can be wrapped several times.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Tour Master Chaps are good products. I personally have River Road and had them for 3 years now. Just like any leather, regularly clean and treat it with leather conditioner and/or oil to last. At 50 deg. weather, chaps shall keep your legs comfortable. Even at 30 degree weather for 30 minutes of riding, you should be ok.

Don't forget your fingers, a good pair of heated gloves will make the difference in ride comfort. Ride Safe.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I think most chaps will do what you're looking for at 50*. When it gets colder, I put on some long johns and between them and the chaps, don't have an issue.

My wife bought me my balaclava off of QVC or HSN... I'll see if I can find out which. It is really nice. The main part doesn't not let air pass through, the part that goes over the mouth and nose does let air through. Keeps me pretty comfy on those colder days. I use it a lot when I have to wear the FF - it keeps my neck very warm.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think any set of chaps will work down to 50........Once you get down to 30, your butt starts to take it. I am thinking maybe some leather pants under my chaps for when it's real cold............or maybe some cold weather bib overalls.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have a pair of USA Bikers Dream Apparel that I bought locally. They're quilt-lined (removeable) an cost me $129. Just got back this AM from a 50* ride and they worked just fine. I've ridden with them down as far as the low 30's although when it gets that cold I add a pair of Cabela's Polar Fleece long johns. I stay warm. YOu can find the chaps online here:

-USA Biker's Dream APPAREL-

I also have the fleece balaclava with the polyester hood. When things get cold it works like a charm. I also switch from a HH to a modular when things get that cool.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I ride in Levis all the way down to 32 degrees....maybe something under them. Granted I don't do long hauls but you'll never catch me in chaps!

Chaps should only be worn in leather bars! lol!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just got back from a ride and it is just under 40 degrees. My legs felt nothing through levis and chaps... my hands however had to be pried off the grips when I returned and even the keyboard feels warm right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought TourMaster's chap last year but never used it. The leather seems to be good quality and thick. I think I will be using it this year for sure.

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For temps in the 50's try wearing UNDER ARMOR available at Academy. I wear it under my jeans and it works for me. Plus the price on sale they were only 40 bucks.
Thanks everyone but I think I will try the underArmor first they have them here in the Navy Exchange. I will let everyone know how I think it works out.

And if it gets cold enough for heated gloves I will be in the car along with most riders with the heat on.

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ride in Levis all the way down to 32 degrees....maybe something under them. Granted I don't do long hauls but you'll never catch me in chaps!

Chaps should only be worn in leather bars! lol!
"Chaps should only be worn in leather bars! lol!"

After thinking about it that way I guess you may have a point.:mrgreen:

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
"Chaps should only be worn in leather bars! lol!"

After thinking about it that way I guess you may have a point.:mrgreen:
Hey...I did see a good use of chaps once. I was at a bike meet and I saw a few young girls in chaps and no draws! Heck yeah!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I started wearing leather overalls.
Covers everything, plus gives another layer of protection high up on my chest and back, both from road rash, and cold.
That's a great idea, but for both full leather overpants, as well as overalls and racing body suits, for those of us who are 6'3" and 200lbs or under, we can't get anything to fit.
Manufacturers assume that if you're 6'3", that you weigh 260lbs.
Same problem buying jeans... it'll take days to track down 32x36.
I can get 38x36 and 32x32 all day long.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts