Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided to get some buttless chaps for riding. i want soem sorta leg protection and i dont want leather pants, so i figured buttless chaps would be my best option. I was wondering like if theres a great kind or something along those lines, also i would like some of your opinions on some alternatives. I plan i getting a 250 ninja and moving up into the sportbike catagory, so that would be pretty funny to see someone wearing buttless chaps riding one of those eh :p. but yea, i deff wanna know some opinions on buttless chaps or some sorta alternative to where i wont have to get it cleaned that much :p Thanks guys

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
In cruiser wear, the absolute 100% best is Fox Creek Leather.
They aren't cheap, but when you hold one of their jackets or chaps and compare it to the $50-$150 versions common elsewhere, the difference is obvious. The leather is at least half again as thick, if not twice as thick, but it is very soft, with a dull finish... not shiny Rob Halford style, and they are drum-dyed, so the color goes all the way through... no light areas appearing at creases.

That said, I view chaps as exposure protection, not abrasion protection. They might save you from some rash on your side during initial impact, but once you roll onto your back and start sliding, your a$$ is going to take the beating.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I didn't know chaps covered your butt, unless you just like saying "buttless"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umm, well the only time ive ever heard of them was like dirty jokes on tv and from others, and my mom told me today thta they are just called chaps, implies there buttless lmao. and i said butt cuz i know *** is blocked. And thanks rich for the info.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, i would like lots of opinions, no matter what they are, what do you wear for leg protection? please, tell me lol, i wanna know as much of what is out there as i can to make the decision that i see is fit best for me. Thanks in advance and hope to get this thread boomin.

·
"Good Ride"
96 Posts
Ditto on Foxcreek.They are only about 20 miles from my house.I buy all of my leather from them.My father has the chaps,man are they nice.Very soft adn comfy.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Ive decided to get some buttless chaps for riding. i want soem sorta leg protection and i dont want leather pants, so i figured buttless chaps would be my best option. I was wondering like if theres a great kind or something along those lines, also i would like some of your opinions on some alternatives. I plan i getting a 250 ninja and moving up into the sportbike catagory, so that would be pretty funny to see someone wearing buttless chaps riding one of those eh :p. but yea, i deff wanna know some opinions on buttless chaps or some sorta alternative to where i wont have to get it cleaned that much :p Thanks guys
You may also want to look into River Road Leathers, I have a few items by them and love them. They are a little less pricey as Fox Creek but I would not say they are not as good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Also, i would like lots of opinions, no matter what they are, what do you wear for leg protection? please, tell me lol, i wanna know as much of what is out there as i can to make the decision that i see is fit best for me. Thanks in advance and hope to get this thread boomin.
I wear full perforated leather pants with kness armor and hip pads most of the time. I find them the most comfortable (except when trying to peal them off after riding in the heat), but I don't commute with them because I don't want to change my pants when I get to work. Once moving, I get enough air through the perforations that they're not too hot in the summer.

I also have a pair of leather overpants with the same protection, but I don't like them as much (slightly too big in the waste, way too heavy, and a pain to get on). I only use them if it's cold out. I should get a zipper transplanted from my jacket, which would help with the fit.

I'm looking to get a pair of textile overpants in the spring, banking on that they'll be lighter and more managable, though I'm giving up some protection.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
...That said, I view chaps as exposure protection, not abrasion protection. They might save you from some rash on your side during initial impact, but once you roll onto your back and start sliding, your a$$ is going to take the beating.
I was wearing Dockers (as required by work) when I went down at somewhere between 50 - 60 mph. I tumbled and slid forever. The only road rash I got was front lower legs and knees. I don't think your butt gets it too badly unless you lowside -then its a different story.

I think the right kind of chaps would prevent the roadrash I got.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool beans guys. One thing that I've been looking for is a pair of chaps that would be easy as pie to put on. I saw a guy come into my work Sunday, he had on some chaps that zipped up the sides. I wanted to ask him about them so badly but I couldn't because we were so busy. By the time I had a bit o' free time, he was gone. I'd just like to have some chaps that are super easy to put on and take off and that will fit in my work backpack with my rain gear and a few other items. Plus I can put them in my school back pack because I have some space in there aswell.

·
"Good Ride"
96 Posts
I was at Fox Creek yesterday and sprang for a pair or their lined chaps with pockets.Man they are nice,and the customer service was great.What was best was they had a pair to fit me in their "blowout" specials so I got them for 165.00 they had been 219.00.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those sound very nice. I'm buying my jacket and a new pair of gloves tomorrow. So I'll have some pics up after work ><. Also, I know what I want lmao. A kawa green pair of chaps. If I can only find a pair lmao.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay, bought new gear today. Its strange because I was acually so happy to spend my hard earned money.....

Jacket Shot

Jacket/Gloves
\

Full Dress on my Cycle

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Hey Rich and everyone else. I am getting a pair of chaps this weekend (come hell or high water) but wanted to ask you all something.

I am looking at lined and non-lined. The liner does not apper to be removable, which means if I wore them in the summer, I would melt.

Do you all think the non-lined chaps would be good to help cut down on cold when the temp is between say 30 and 40? I currently ride with out them (in jeans) when the temp is 40 +

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Mine are lined, BUT, as I indicated above, I view them as exposure protection, not crash protection. If it's over 60 degrees, they stay home and I ride in jeans.
If it's above 75, my jacket stays in the saddlebag.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Hey Rich and everyone else. I am getting a pair of chaps this weekend (come hell or high water) but wanted to ask you all something.

I am looking at lined and non-lined. The liner does not apper to be removable, which means if I wore them in the summer, I would melt.

Do you all think the non-lined chaps would be good to help cut down on cold when the temp is between say 30 and 40? I currently ride with out them (in jeans) when the temp is 40 +
I've worn my unlined ones at 27 degress with just jeans on no thermal underware. Was no problem. Wasn't cold at all. Now up here it's not just a morning type of cold. It's wicked cold all day. below zero in morning and if lucky gets above 20 during the day. Anyhoo like I said I went out when it was 27 with unlined chaps and wasn't cold at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now all I have to do is get my 2 fairings $200 for the pair, and get the whole thing painted Kawa green, and I'll match everything (Evil Laugh). But to me, my attire will go with any bike, because green is natures black, goes with everything.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts