Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '86 ZX10 wasn't charging, so I checked with a multimeter and found no change in voltage when the bike was running vs when it was off, both at the battery and directly at the alternator harness, Also noticed tach, and voltage guage stopped working right around the same time. So I pulled the alternator, found the bearings were shot and had it rebuilt. Installed the new alternator, and still had no charging voltage whatsoever (read 12v at both battery and alternator harness). When testing the voltage of the rebuilt alternator, I found that the red lead on the alternator harness was negative and the black was positive, so I tried switching them. Now the alternator generates power, but is totally unregulated (25+v at high revs) Any ideas on what to check? Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, How could the alternator be clocked wrong? I wouldn't have thought the clocking would affect the output of the alternator. Also a couple more details, the neutral light, voltage guage and tach all only work when the alternator is running (and only after I reversed the leads). Also the battery does not recieve any voltage from the alternator. Batt still reads 12v, alternator output, and stock voltmeter reads high voltage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts