Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever seen or used Chilhowee leather jackets??? I stumbled across http://www.chilhowee.net/cgi-bin/product.cgi?id=MLJ001 and the jacket sounds like it's a high quality one that might work for winter ridding.

Course nobody in these parts stocks any quality winter ridding jackets so it's impossible to see one in person before ordering.

On the otherhand while leather will look & feel great on the bike Belstaff or FirstGear textile jackets look like they wpuld be rather warm. Just don't know if they provide the same ammount of protection if I was to dump the bike.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Leather

I've only been down once in a Vanson Leather jacket, and it barely showed any sign of abrasion. I was behind a car that blew his radiator and ther was a clout of smoke, steam, and then a big slickspot in the entire lane...with oncoming traffic...I went to the right to avoid the spot, and the oncoming traffic...but it was to late and I was on the ground...I still wore a thinsulate sweater under my jacket. It was thin, but I never was cold. At the price thay are asking I'd almost go for one...except I'm not into the H-D looks of a jacket. I like the racing jacket style no chrome, just a couple front pockets hidden and an inside one for my wallet. Looks like a great jacket for the price though and they do have a money back guarantee...I wan't looking for a restocking fee or even a used jacket line either...

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I'd love to get Vanson Leather as not only do I really like their leather but you know what kind of quality when buying Vanson.

However, it's so dang expensive it's out of my price range by quite a bit :( :(

Oh well, it's back to surffing the net looking at the different jackets & ridding gear 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PRICE RANGE

YOu only wear one and your wife only wears one...it's cheaper than a bike, and most toys...and it will last a lifetime unless you grow out of it...consider the jacket a LIFETIME Jacket, and it changes you view on things dramatically. it's not a shirt, or a car, or a bike, it's something that will live with you forever...and for your wife...if she rides...Mine is 32 years old...to tight now...but is is still in great shape...so are my gloves!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I believe I read somewhere on this forum that textile jackets work well for a one time get off where leather may last longer.
I pray that everyone here and everyone that rides doesn't experiance even a one time get off.
I wear textile and in the case of a get off and I survive, I'll buy another textile.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Leather

I wear Vanson. It saved my "skin" once and it was all I needed to prove to me that leather is what I wnat for the rest of my life...the addage Cows don't get road rash...I'm not sure about that...I've never seen a cow fall off of a motorcycle. seen some big people fall off and get really messed up...Sure I will wear a gortex reflective vest over my jacket for visability and additional protection of my jacket in inclement weather...black isn't the greatest of colors at night either if you need to be seen. A small tail light looks much urther away if someones depth perception is off...this is very commo with elderly people...reflective stripes or decals on your helmet, a safety vest anything to make you brighter,,,LED's anythign...
A great leather jacket even the price of a Vanson is cheaper than a new bike, broken bones, or a trip through the emergency room...lets not get into hospital rooms...the Vanson jacket is worth more than all of this...it is also something that will hold you together and will not let your arms or body parts fling off your body at rolling speeds. They are very well designed and prootective in every bit of their seams.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Around these parts a ambulance ride in town to the hospital cost's $600.00 :shock: :shock:

I hate making decsions like this, love the look & feel of leather but the Belstaff looks like it would be so much warmer & cover you better.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
RampRat Sr

RampRat Sr
I wore a textile jacket on my last bike and you're right, it was a lot more adaptable to the changes in weather. i rode one morning when the mercury was at 17 degrees and my chest and legs were the last thing i was worried about. i agree with most of the people that posted about the textiles being a 1 time drop. i know my pants and jacket both came with removeable armor that would probably help save your butt, but the jacket would not last through a slide. i now wear leather and do feel a little limited when it comes to the cold. have to get a little creative. my textile stuff is for sale if you do decide to go that route !!!! also, take a look at www.motorcycleclosouts.com when i bought the nomad i was looking at what jacket to buy. i picked out a couple and then stumbled onto that site. they sell quite a few namebrand items at a decent discount. i did not end up using them so i cannot say how they are to deal with, but the prices seemed right. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts