Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride yesterday and prior to starting the bike, I pulled the choke out ('04 Vulcan Classic Carb'd) and I noticed the choke knob slowly slides back. If I physically hold it all the way out the bike fires right up. If I just pull the knob out (and release it) the bike hesitates to start because the choke knob is sliding closed. What is the simplest way to fix this problem? Do I need to replace the choke cable? Any input would be great, since it is winter it is time to do these little maintenance things.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
there is a small rubber boot directly behind the choke knob. pull your choke out, pull the boot off and you should see a knurled nut. looks more like a very thick washer with knurling. tighten that nut a bit and that should do the trick. might have to get some pliers. its kinda in a funny spot and u might not be able to get a good grip with only ur fingers.

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for making me look stupid :p . That was the easiest fix I have ever done on the bike. It is nice and tight now and works perfectly. Much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
Whew!! You had me skeert there for a moment, thinking something was wrong wrong. Glad to see it wasn't.

I figured if anyone is out and about around here on a cruiser these days it would be you :wink:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I went for a ride yesterday and prior to starting the bike, I pulled the choke out ('04 Vulcan Classic Carb'd) and I noticed the choke knob slowly slides back. If I physically hold it all the way out the bike fires right up. If I just pull the knob out (and release it) the bike hesitates to start because the choke knob is sliding closed. What is the simplest way to fix this problem? Do I need to replace the choke cable? Any input would be great, since it is winter it is time to do these little maintenance things.
Don't feel foolish, I also have an 04' 1500 carbed and had the same problem last year. I took it into the shop and they showed me that trick too :oops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.