Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The choke on my bike must be near fully open in order to stay running... why?

1992 zx-750

·
Registered
741 Posts
Since the function of a choke is to close off the air supplied to the carb, it sounds like you have an air leak. possibly in the boots from the intake mainfold to the carb. Check the connections to the carb and the boot itself for a hairline crack which will allow air to enter the carb, making a lean condition.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
has the bike been sitting for awhile ? what are the circumstances behind this problem ? have you been playing with the bike ?
:?:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike was sitting for a year in the garage. I bought a carb rebuilt kit in preparation... So far i've changed the battery, bled the clutch and brakes... i replaced the spark plugs too.

I appreciate the info on the choke and the crack.. soudns to me like it may be a possibility.

Where's a good place to find the official tech repair manual?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
slk23022 said:
the bike was sitting for a year in the garage. I bought a carb rebuilt kit in preparation... So far i've changed the battery, bled the clutch and brakes... i replaced the spark plugs too.

I appreciate the info on the choke and the crack.. soudns to me like it may be a possibility.

Where's a good place to find the official tech repair manual?
carb pilot jets are prob. clogged up for one
the choke does NOT do what CV said, it ADDS fuel to the mixture in the morning to help in start up
get the service manual from your dealer
good luck :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts