Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you go about choosing the perfect line around a race track or on your favorite twisty road? What’s the best way to figure out where you want to put the bike?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If i,m on an unfamiliar piece of road I usually try to enter a left hand turn as close to center as I can get,this way you have room to move out if you need to,if it is a right hand corner I usually start on edge of road so once again I can move over if i need to.there is nothing worse in a curve than to run out of room to work in.keep in mind that i,m on a heavy cruiser that corners just a little better than a truck.different bikes respond in different way.there is a piece of road in my area called deals gap,317 curves in 11 miles.its probalby the most fun you can have with you pants on (LOL) .the first time i ran the road i used the techinque i spoke of and came out fine .once again different bikes handle differently ,where my floorboards drag in a corner you bike my take with great ease,An old bike rider once told me "let the bike show you where it wants to be" and "learn to handle your bike and better handing will come naturally".I have taken his advice because I want to live to become an OlD rider

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
There is no perfect line. Every rider has his own style that works. Someone who is 5' 4" 130lbs will ride a different line than someone who is 6' 3" 180lbs. Your best line is what you feel the most comfortable with. If you want to know how to find your line but you don't want to pay for a racing school (which I recomend if you plan on doing any hard riding) you can read Keith Code's books "A Twist of the Wrist" vol 1 and 2. Vol 1 is going to deal with more of the track side of things but can still be applyed to the street. Vol 2 is easyer to apply to the street. Kieth doesn't tell you how to ride. He tells you how to help yourself ride better. If you do plan on doing any real hard riding take it to the track though. There are too many variables on the public roads to really improve your riding skills as far as speed goes. I know I keep pushing these books on people like I work for Keith but about 50% of our quetions would be answered if we just read them. Plus you'll be a better ride no matter what you ride or where.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just trying to start a discussion guys.

Green knight, I'm glad you like Keith's books and recomend his school. I'm one of Keith's most senior instructors :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yeah, after I posted I reconised your name from the Cornering forum :p. I was like doh. Just told him to go to his own school hehe. I'm hoping to go to the CSS later this year. Would be at Blackhawk Farms if I did. I'm just getting into road racing here in the midwest.

Thanks for stopping by the forum. Hope to be at one of your schools soon :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
As for cornering... I like to take it easy into the corners first and gradualy work my confidence up to speed. I used to think that being leaned over to max was great but after going through Keith's books I found faster ways around the corners which made it even more of a blast. I'm still trying to improve myself with the pointers from his books and saving up the cash for some schooling. I just can't imagine being good enough to ride motorcycles for a living but if all it turns out to be is a hobby that would still be great. Who knows... maybe I'll find my nich in life where I finaly fit in :p

·
Registered
806 Posts
Understanding stuman may be a little biased but has anyone read and gone through "Proficient Motorcycling" and the follow-up. Many of the reviews I read actaully rated it higher than Twist of the Wrist. You'll never see a pic of me on my meanie like stuman's above but searching out the backroad twisty's and picking a quick and agressive line on new roads is something I'm always trying to get better and more confident at. Thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green Knight said:
Yeah, after I posted I reconised your name from the Cornering forum :p. I was like doh. Just told him to go to his own school hehe. I'm hoping to go to the CSS later this year. Would be at Blackhawk Farms if I did. I'm just getting into road racing here in the midwest.

Thanks for stopping by the forum. Hope to be at one of your schools soon :)
LOL, I thought you would get a laugh out of that. I hope to see you at Black Hawk. I have to say Black Hawk is very high on my list of favorite tracks. It's doesn't really strike most people as being such a great track (it's not the safest) but I just love the flow of that place. Plus all the trees and grass make it seem like your riding on a country road. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've read parts of "Proficient Motorcycling". Its a pretty good book from what I've read so far, it just doesn't cover the level that I want to be at. I would probably say that if you ride a sport bike read Keith's books and if you ride a touring bike or cruiser that Proficient Motorcycling would be more up your ally. There are a lot of things that Keith covers than you just can't do on a cruiser or do at the same level. For example: pivot points, you can't use the foot pegs on a cruiser as a pivot point like you can on a sport bike to help stablize you in the corners. Both books can help any rider though. A good rider is a smart rider.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Welcome stuman! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,860 Posts
Welcome stuman! Never been on a track but what I try to do on the twisties: 1) when going right, go right and don't come left past the middle of the lane. There always seems to be some idiot coming the other way who is gonna ride the centerline or come into my lane to cut the corner. 2) when going left, don't hug the centerline so much that when you lean you are across the centerline. That's a good way to get your head ripped off by a logging truck. Safety first! If you come out alive you get to do it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts