Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Within the past month and a half I bought a '03 1600. I've got two questions that I'd like help with.

1) What is the best way (products) to keep all of that chrome shining?

2) The speedo runs about 6 mph slower than what I am actually running. I've verified this with a GPS. Any suggestions on a fix/cure?

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
1) I use a polish called Blue Magic. You can get it at most auto parts stores. I've used it on my bikes for a year and it works well.

2) On almost every bike there is a discrepency with the speedo. Just be glad that your speedo runs on the slow side. I personally like that my speedo runs a little slow, because I don't feel so bad about hitting 100 on the freeway.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

windex and no - just go faster :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys he said the speedo reads slower than he is going, for example it reads 50 when he is going 56 in reality - that sucks man. No fixes I am aware of.

For the chrome just keep it clean on a regular basis with whatever and use some good chrome polish of your choice a couple times a year or more.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The speedo runs about 6 mph slower than what I am actually running. I've verified this with a GPS. Any suggestions on a fix /cure TD your the first to have the speedo read slower than your actual speed . Most everyone else`s read faster up to 10 % ,on the vulcans anyway, no knowed fix, either way

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I had the luck of coming across one of those radar trailers once. according to the speedo, I was going 40 but the truck came back with 36. there's that 10% for you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
woodchuck,
You'll get very used to going 6mph faster, and you don't have to be embarrased around your friends because...they won't know :) If it's just a really big peeve of yours I would say let it go, it'll help you in the long run, I've also heard a lot of triple digit usage can cause it to be off some but I could be wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My speedo reads faster than I am actually going, as it has on all the bikes I have owned. I was just pointing out that this guy said:
2) The speedo runs about 6 mph slower than what I am actually running
So he is having the opposite problem according to what he posted, the end of the problem that is likely to get you written up for speeding rather than not.
I don't have a kaw cruiser, but if the speedo is mechanical all the way you are basicly stuck. If it is electronic and thats what actualtes the needle you could do something about it if you have some electronics savvy.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
stuart I screwed up the post and was trying to copy and paste the post about 6 mph slower . I new everyone else`s was reading 10% faster witch is what I was hopeing, because I always drive 15% faster than what is indecated . lol

·
Registered
487 Posts
how much speed could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck speed :roll:
sorry couldn't resist :lol:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
vapor thats ok I`ll be down in your neck of the woods the end of oct. we`ll decuss it then . lol Dwaine and no I don`t need to hear about dwaine the bath tub i`m drowning.ha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shiny but Slow

Dude, NEVER use anything abrasive such as "chrome cleaners" on the plastice-chrome sections.

Use 00 or 000 fine steel wool (avail nearly anywhere) for any corrosion or
junk like tar on your chrome (make sure the piece is NOT plastic-coated first!). Keep the bike washed...When storing for any period of time or sitting close to ocean breezes (covered, garaged or not) spray a fine coating of WD-40 on the chrome pieces, simply wash off before riding!

Wax is bullcrap...as soon as it reaches 180? it melts off.

The speedo's just one of those + or -2% manufacturing snafu's...check the difference and keep a mental picture of that diff when riding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use the spray on auto detailer. Except I don't spray it on the bike. I kind-of
semi saturate a small area of a soft cloth and rub it on and use another cloth to polish it off while it is still wet. It works great on the chrome and painted surfaces.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Usually use Turtle wax for chrome, but lately Honda cleaner is getting my attention.

I copy the comment above about chrome wax on chrome plated plastic...be careful and test a tiny spot first.

My Vulcan speedo is about 10% faster than actual - Gadgit has a fix on his website.

T-man

·
Registered
105 Posts
Honda spray cleaner and polish is the best stuff. Me and my dad have been using it for years. It works plastic and chrome great. Removes all of the road gunk and shines it up well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cleaners?

I just got the Honda Spray Cleaner, It
is very good stuff, Works Very Well.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Easyest thing I found was to wipe off excess water with a chammy and finish with newspaper. You will be surprised at the results.

For the speedo, I would live with it

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
i don't have any secret tricks for polishing but as far as washing goes -

1. spray dry bike with S100
2. spray with hose thoroughly at high intensity
3. Blow dry it with a leaf blower

I put my bike from mud-ridden filthy embarrassing to showroom nice in less than five minutes. (I should probably wax it more :oops: )

·
Registered
2 Posts
best thing to do it to make sure that the chrome is hot first, if not already hot from sun or bike heat, heat it with a hair dryer, then put on good quality chrome polish and leave for 10 mins... this will give a much better shine and build up resistance as the surface id porus.. the heat makes the surface absorb the polish ! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
best thing to do it to make sure that the chrome is hot first, if not already hot from sun or bike heat, heat it with a hair dryer, then put on good quality chrome polish and leave for 10 mins... this will give a much better shine and build up resistance as the surface id porus.. the heat makes the surface absorb the polish !
juxstar's right

I get boot marks on my Cobra pipes. I found it's very easy to remove with the exhaust hot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts