Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody switched their stock gas cap on the 1600 Mean Streak for a chrome one? Is such a product available?

I've found some adhesive chrome stick-on parts that cover the stock gas cap but was looking for a more permanent option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good question MK! I don`t have the anwser or seen any such product but I hope someone chimes in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw the chrome stick-on on ebay for $30+. It looks pretty nice and for only 30 it is a decent option.
I haven't seen any permanant offerings either.

JIMKALFIKAS - nice Lightning! It must pull like crazy. What's your 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bdluz, have you used the chrome stick-on? Any reports?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't...but I may in the near future. I do think they look nice and worth the try.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Take yours off and get it chromed? I'm trying to recall what the gas cap looks like on the Meanie.

BTW my 1600 came with a chrome gas cap =P

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
Phatboy said:
Take yours off and get it chromed? I'm trying to recall what the gas cap looks like on the Meanie.

BTW my 1600 came with a chrome gas cap =P
yeah, so did my Nomad, i can't picture the meanie. guess i could just go look at someone's pics before i post this, but that's no fun !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not a 1500?

Hey 592, I think you should consider a 1500 Classic, I hear the black ones with whitewalls are especially fast. (And they come standard with chrome gas caps.) :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
bdluz said:
I saw the chrome stick-on on ebay for $30+. It looks pretty nice and for only 30 it is a decent option.
I haven't seen any permanant offerings either.

JIMKALFIKAS - nice Lightning! It must pull like crazy. What's your 1/4 mile?
Hey BDLUZ! My Lightning has a mid to low 12-sec program if traction permits. You know, these trucks are really heavy not to mention it`s like pushing a brick wall through the air. I also had a Mustang. 1991 GT w/H.C.I. Sold it though.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
JK591 said:
Hey 592, I think you should consider a 1500 Classic, I hear the black ones with whitewalls are especially fast. (And they come standard with chrome gas caps.) :)
i don't know, you're on the right track with the black recommendation, but them whitewalls might slow the bike down, too much of the SLOW color !!! hehehe.

·
Registered
806 Posts
MK592 said:
bdluz, have you used the chrome stick-on? Any reports?
I have the stick on version, I came up dry looking for a solid unit. It actually works okay and I like the look. Many people have said they didn't like all that chrome on the gas tank due to reflections but it doesn't bother me and the black cap looked out of place IMHP. The rectangular piece is a little smaller than the flip up to get at the key but if centered right it looks like it belongs there. I can post a pic if you're interested. I think I paid about $15 on ebay.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to see a pic. I've seen the stick-on covers on EBay for $35 or something, and that seemed too high for a temporary solution I haven't seen. I'm curious how long the adhesive will last riding through weather.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pic of my gas cap. I also posted some bike pics in the pictures section

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pic flynsouth! I agree with you that it looks good there. Now that I've seen results from a guinea pig... think I'll go ahead and make the same mod.

--Mike

·
Ludicrous Speed...GO!
1,866 Posts
Hey there I'm new to the forum but I wanted to let you know that I've had one of those stick on chrome covers on my Mean Streak for about a year now. I bought it off ebay and it came with double sided automotive tape. It hasn't shown any signs of wear and has been through a lot of rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts