Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed chrome from the engine cases of a VN800 Classic if you have what is the best way to do it?
Can it be bead blasted?
Or does it have to be dipped?
as I want to remove all the chrome and paint mine.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
doesnt sound easy from what im readin..... from another board from a chromer company....

Our facility does plating work, they claim to chemically remove chrome, it would cost us $700+ just for a bucket of the solution. Then to dispose of the solution is another fortune. So I can understand the high cost in chemical removal.

What we have done here is very aggressive sand blast, it takes time, but its a lot cheaper. Depending on the quality of chrome, it will go fast or slow. IF its triple striked chrome, that is Copper, Nickel, Chrome, the Chrome and Nickel will come off with sand blast, but the Copper will take sanding or wire brushing, we usually paint over the copper. Another trick we have found, is if you can crack the crome, chip some away, it will speed up the sand blast process. It lets the sand penetrate under the chrome.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Any reason it cannot be sanded and then powder coated ?

I have sanded and powder coated parts in the past that were chromed, and they came out great.

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any reason it cannot be sanded and then powder coated ?

I have sanded and powder coated parts in the past that were chromed, and they came out great.
They do not like powdercoating over chrome,here.( England)
But it is only cheap Japanese chrome which has already started pealing I intend to grit blast it off with a fine (ish) grit.
It is chrome plated over the alloy there is no copper at all so i am hoping it removes easy ( ish).
Thanks

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
chrome removal and painting

i would blast it sand it wipe it down with spirits till its not makeing any marks on a clean cloth then eather powder coat harder wearing but less attractive or paint more atractive les hard wearing but not a lot less! if done right my choice would be paint primer then a 1 stage gloss sprayed profesionaly with the right paint this would give the best results if u wanted a picture in there i would go for a 2 stage and airbrush the pic in before lacker ive worked in the uk as a powder coater and as a wet sprayer

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would blast it sand it wipe it down with spirits till its not makeing any marks on a clean cloth then eather powder coat harder wearing but less attractive or paint more atractive les hard wearing but not a lot less! if done right my choice would be paint primer then a 1 stage gloss sprayed profesionaly with the right paint this would give the best results if u wanted a picture in there i would go for a 2 stage and airbrush the pic in before lacker ive worked in the uk as a powder coater and as a wet sprayer
Cheers chap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.