Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little advice, Bike shop here in my hometown has a set of chrome wheel covers that came off a 2003 Vulcan classic 1500. These covers cover the whole spoke area on both wheels. The chrome has a good bright shine and all that,but i'm wondering why the guy wants to sell them.Reckon there are handling problems,or some kind of wheel hop,or what etc.They look awesom and i sorta want them,but don't want the problems they may cause,(if any). The guy wants $325.00 for them and that includes installing. He says they cost $400.00 for both wheels bought new. I've never seen any of these before,so i don't know! What do ya think? Is this a good add on,is the price right,is it (could be road problems),or just what do ya think??? Thanks for any advice!! Kenny in North Carolina......

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I must be old school as I want to see my wheels / spokes when I do an inspection of the bike before I ride....and as far as I can tell these covers would do a good job of concealing the wheels / spokes...if I'm not mistaken.

I also like things that look nice but tend to shy away from what I feel would not add some kind of value or comfot to the ride. However...that being said...I am not able to give you a true life assesment since I have never owned them...nor will I for the reasons stated.

Just my 2cents. :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
These might cause you some problems in a strong crosswind. The Fatboy has steel wheels and I've heard it can cause problems in a strong crosswind.

Phatty

·
Registered
302 Posts
chrome wheel covers

From what I've seen and read you could have extreme problems with wind either crosswinds or being passed by large trucks would tend to blow you all over the road. Some Harleys (VROD) have these type wheels and every reveiw says the same thing.
Good Luck,
Lonestar

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Guy's I don't have a pic, but here's a site that sell's them . They just happen to be out of stock. www.scootworks.com My personal opinion about cross winds an solid wheels an /or covers , is I think it's alot of BS . The only way your gonna know if it's the wheels or not, is to ride the same bike with an without solid wheels or covers , in the same exact crosswind. If the cross wind is 30 mph with spokes an then it's 40 mph with solid wheels, How you gonna know if it's the wheels or covers or just the extra wind speed? Go over to the harley site . They have this topic all the time, an the fatboy rider's don't feel it's as big of a problem, if it's a problem at all . One last thought go out riding in a 30 or 40 mph crosswind an see if you think the wheels solid or not will have as much effect in the ride , compared to the bike it self. I also think the weight difference between bike's will have a bigger effect on the handling of the bike than the wind. That's why the 1500,1600,nomad handle the interstate better than the 800's, But look out in the twistie's an stop light to stop light. I'll tear you all up.(LOL) Did you notice I didn't mention the meanie because it'll eat all our lunchs.<BG>

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'm with woodchuck!! at highway speeds it don't matter if its laced or solid
i've riden solid wheeled bikes for years and i don't feel any difference in
strong crosswinds with solid wheels vs laced-i think thats a myth :wink:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gang for your input! Gonna leave 'em along for now anyway. If he still has them maybe in a month or so,then i may get'em then. Had 3 sons that were counting on something for Christmas,so my money is pretty much shot up for the month of December. I know you guys don't have that problem,but this household does!!! Merry Christmas to ya,and i love this site!!! Kenny in North Carolina........

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Kenny said:
Thanks gang for your input! Gonna leave 'em along for now anyway. If he still has them maybe in a month or so,then i may get'em then. Had 3 sons that were counting on something for Christmas,so my money is pretty much shot up for the month of December. I know you guys don't have that problem,but this household does!!! Merry Christmas to ya,and i love this site!!! Kenny in North Carolina........

Uhhhhhhh....Kenny....I have 4 kids (all grown and gone) and 3 grandkids. The spending NEVER ENDS. :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts