Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a brainstorm, really after seeing how expensive a chain would be I thought I'd ask for another idea. I was wondering what I could use to clean rust off of my chain. WD-40? Diesel fuel?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might also add the bike is only a year old, so the chain isn't very old either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So diesel can get off that rust?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know on the chains for are dirtbikes when they sat for awhile we used to take them off and soak them ovrenight in Some parts cleaner that we always bought in a gallon can from the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What do you guys use to lube your chain? I read in the manual that a really heavy weight oil (like 90+) would work. i need to clean and lube mine but don't know what to use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tobydawg said:
What do you guys use to lube your chain? I read in the manual that a really heavy weight oil (like 90+) would work. i need to clean and lube mine but don't know what to use.
they make chain lube in a spray can. most cycle shops carry it.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Tobydawg said:
A heavy weight oil works well, but its horribly dirty. I use chain wax, there are also chain lubes out there. the dealership nearest you should have a large selection.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
just use a scotch brite pad on the rust and then use WD-40 to clean the rest. just put the bike on a stand, spin the wheel and spray down the chain from the back, take old rags and wipe it down. spray it a couple times if needed.
i use MAXIM CHAIN WAX and LOVE IT ! :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use Castrol chain lube. It will take you 3 mins to finish job. The best is to leave it for 1-2 hours, then ride. After a 15 min ride, clean the rear wheel. Castrol won't make your chain dirty. You can buy some chain lubes which say that it stays on the chain and won't make your wheel dirty, but it's gonna be a pain in an ass to clean your chain later.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I use a white grease that I spray on. Its very easy to apply if I role the bike backwards while someone sprays it. It also doesn't coming flinging off and get all over. Did wonders to get rid of the rust on my 9R since the guy who had it before me didn't know you were supose to grease it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Doesn't WD-40 break down the O ring on chains???? Anybody know?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
WD-40 WILL NOT HURT YOUR O-RINGS !!!!! ive used if for the last 15yrs and NEVER had a chain go bad/wear out. my ZRX w/ over 18k on it and lots and lots of wheelies had a perfectly fine chain on it when i sold it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've always used it after I rode and the chain was warmed up to soak in instead of having is spray my leg with crap.... Works great for taking off stickers too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts