Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some brown stuff on my VN800 that I got last autumn, and I'm wondering about the best way to remove it? I think it may have been from my boots when I started riding, because it took me a little while to figure out that I need to avoid touching my legs to the exhaust pipes (imagine that...), but I'm not completely sure that's it. Does anyone have a preferred method of removing crap from chrome? (And if this is not the right place for this post, pleas elet me know! I'm new to forums in general this year, and this one is certainly no exception!)

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Easy-Off oven cleaner; the spray kind. Gets the melted boot rubber off without scratching the chrome.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
From what I understand, easy-off requires next to no elbow grease. Vance & Hines even recommends using Easy-off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Australia there is an organisation called Choice Magazine that evaluates products. Below I've listed the products in the order of their recommendations. I would always test this sort of product on a spot you can't see (e.g. under the pipe) to ensure there is no residue or discoloration.
Brand Price:
Coles Smart-Buy Oven Cleaner Non-caustic (300 g) $2.30
Selleys Oven Kleen Fast Acting (350 g) (A) $3.20
Selleys Oven Plus Heavy Duty Gel (400 g) $5.00
Easy-Off Oven Fume Free Cleaner (325 g) $3.00
Easy-Off Oven Heavy Duty Cleaner 5 Minute Clean (325 g) $3.00
Black & Gold Caustic Oven Cleaner (400 g) $2.20
Mr Muscle Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner (300 g) $3.29
Amway Blast Off Oven Cleaner (400 g) $10.50

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
If it's baked-on rubber or plastic, a piece of hard wood with a very square edge can be used to scrape big chunks off. Green scotchbrite and WD-40 can be used to lightly scrub, and Mother's Billet Polish works well to shine things up.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Be very careful with the green scotchbrite; I've heard it won't scratch when soaked in WD-40, but for some reason I got the bright idea of using scotchbrite with simple green. That didn't work out too well at all. Removed the melted rubber fine, just removed the chrome along with it.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I have some brown stuff on my VN800 that I got last autumn, and I'm wondering about the best way to remove it?
I'd say the first step is preventing the brown stuff from getting on there in the first place. That usually involves not getting yourself into situations where you get really scared while riding.

That same tactic prevents yellow drip marks, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts