Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this tube (pictured) feeds fuel to the choke circuit; when I try to spray carb cleaner up it (with the choke (enrichener) opened or closed) it just seems to spray back and hit me in the eye. I can stick a thin plastic brush hair up it about 1.125 inches, and there are two small holes on its side at the bottom. Any thoughts? (It's from a Mikuni, BS34 mm carb off a 1982 KZ1000P1.)
View attachment 32786

Attachments

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
With the starter circuit open, maybe try spraying from the other direction.I'm assuming there's an air passage on the intake side of the carb that's dedicated to the starter circuit.
That is the way I did mine.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Ahh...nothing like the sting of carb cleaner in your eye...of course, I seem to recall that gasoline hurts more.
In that case maybe you should wear safety glasses. One guy on here was advocating wearing them for everything. To each his own I guess.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
When you finally get the tube and passage clean be sure to check the area of the float bowl where that tube sits. The small area that tube sits in has a small hole on one side that connects to the rest of the bowl. This allows gas to flow into the are of the bowl where the tube resides. If that hole is clogged the choke won't be able to pick up any fuel either.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had carb cleaner in my eyes, fuel injector cleaner, battery acid(battery blew up) and a pieco of mint skoal. Luckily when the battery blew up I had a large Pepsi and a small Dr. Pepper that I poured directly into my eyes. The worst thing was when I used to dip the blue can of skoal many years back. Had a piece of fresh skoal on my finger when I rubbed my eye and it went in my eye. Boy let me tell you that that was the worst right there.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
battery acid(battery blew up)
Been there done that one. I'm thankful the battery was still inside the vehicle as I can't imagine the shrapnel damage I would have received if it had be fully exposed. As far as the eyes go, I think the vaporized acid was probably less painful on the eyes than liquid acid would have been but I don't want to test that theory to find out. :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had liquid acid in my eyes, teeth, and down my T-shirt. My teeth were rough for a couple of weeks until the enamel built back up. I gotta thank God that I am still here and in one piece.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Funny you mention the shirt. At the time I was wearing an almost new Levi denim jacket, t-shirt, and levi jeans. By the time I washed my eyes out, and drove home to change clothes, the front of the jacket, t-shirt, and jeans down to about the bottom of the pocket level, had just dissolved and pretty much just fell off of me.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,703 Posts
I think this tube (pictured) feeds fuel to the choke circuit; when I try to spray carb cleaner up it (with the choke (enrichener) opened or closed) it just seems to spray back and hit me in the eye. I can stick a thin plastic brush hair up it about 1.125 inches, and there are two small holes on its side at the bottom. Any thoughts? (It's from a Mikuni, BS34 mm carb off a 1982 KZ1000P1.)
View attachment 32786
I use a single strand of copper wire in an exacto blade holder chucked up in a cordless drill while applying heat to the tube . I use a "crack torch" from just about any hardware outlet that has or can be locked in the on position . Alternate between heat , solvent and carefully spinning the wire in by hand or by drill motor . The one deadly caveat here is do not get the wire stuck in the hole or broken off . For future reference I have owned three P1's and still have a set of carbs for reference . I don't remember when they changed from cast tops to chromed steel tops but that denotes a significant change in the BS34's .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a single strand of copper wire in an exacto blade holder chucked up in a cordless drill while applying heat to the tube . I use a "crack torch" from just about any hardware outlet that has or can be locked in the on position . Alternate between heat , solvent and carefully spinning the wire in by hand or by drill motor . The one deadly caveat here is do not get the wire stuck in the hole or broken off . For future reference I have owned three P1's and still have a set of carbs for reference . I don't remember when they changed from cast tops to chromed steel tops but that denotes a significant change in the BS34's .
Thanks. Any idea how far up that tube I should be able to pass a wire?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you finally get the tube and passage clean be sure to check the area of the float bowl where that tube sits. The small area that tube sits in has a small hole on one side that connects to the rest of the bowl. This allows gas to flow into the are of the bowl where the tube resides. If that hole is clogged the choke won't be able to pick up any fuel either.
I see it (see pic); got carb cleaner thru it, thanks.

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Thanks. Any idea how far up that tube I should be able to pass a wire?
Yours may be slightly different but close enough to use as an example. The hole should run all the way up the tube marked with red. You can remove the choke actuator (green arrow) and when carb cleaner is sprayed into the tip of the tube you should see it where the actuator was screwed in to. You could also just open the butterfly and watch for it in the throat of the carb which is where it exits once it leaves the actuator area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks; so the actuator can be unscrewed without separating the carbs or messing with the shown rubber boot? When I sprayed it up the tube, I don't think I saw it coming out of the carb throat; should it come out of one of the three holes on top?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Yes you should see it at the hole that is top center of the throat but you must have the choke ON (knob pulled out) when you do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Finished cleaning them, put them back on and the bike runs great; when I pull the choke to start it when it's cold, it starts immediately and idles around 1500 with the choke all the way out - rather than rev wildly like before. And it can be ridden right away without stumble. I should have cleaned them years ago!

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
That is good news. This board is full of informative people willing to help. Glad to see they were of help to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts