Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wide open throttle
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have about 46 000 km on my speedster short exhaust pipes, the other day i went out to the shed and noticed that there was black soot(carbon?) in the pipes. I think this is a natural thing happening over time. I hear that this build up can can affect the sound of your pipes (mabe performance too?). So my question to you all is, is there an easy way to to clean out your pipes? Is it nessary? Should this even be happening? Any cleaning products out there? Thanks in advance to all taht reply!

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
No need to clean them. If you want to anyway, I'd say you could use a baby bottle brush on a stick and some water w/ dish soap. It should just wash out with that.

You'll just need to pull the baffles to get the brush up there.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Hi everybody, I have about 46 000 km on my speedster short exhaust pipes, the other day i went out to the shed and noticed that there was black soot(carbon?) in the pipes. I think this is a natural thing happening over time. I hear that this build up can can affect the sound of your pipes (mabe performance too?). So my question to you all is, is there an easy way to to clean out your pipes? Is it nessary? Should this even be happening? Any cleaning products out there? Thanks in advance to all taht reply!
You're right. Carbon build up overtime will definitely change the sound of the pipes and not necessarily for the better. My pipes definitely changed the sound with age and carbon buildup is the only thing I can attribute it too. I've never heard of anyone cleaning the pipes before but it's a good excuse to buy some new ones. Other than that, I'd say pulling the baffles and cleaning them would go a good distance toward solving the situation.

·
Registered
818 Posts
With my motorcycles I always used my right hand twisting the throttle.
Been my solution too. The only bikes I've ever heard of dealing with carbon deposits on the baffles have been two strokes and that's carbon build up due to unburned/semi-burned oil carbon mix building up. Those baffles were made to be removable and could get stuck in the pipe if not cleaned quite frequently enough... expansion chambers took care of that concern.

If a rider just chugs around, never letting the engine breathe a bit, running in the low end inefficient area of the power band, there will be build up. Running in the efficient area of the power and winding it up a bit occasionally goes a long way toward eliminating any soot build up. If you're building carbon deposits in your pipe baffles, just think what you might be building in your exhaust port and cylinder head... I opened up an old iron head Sportster engine for a friend. We actually had to chip heavy deposits from around the exhaust valve!

I can tell you using the right hand and the upper range of the tach helps a lot. It doesn't have to be red line, just wind it up within about 80% of max speed in a gear either with some frequency or over a longer distance... cleans things out a bit. I can tell you that by the minimal dusting of carbon soot on the baffle of my 43,000 mile KLX, which gets some exercise within 1000-500 rpm of the max virtually every time I ride. It's not a stinking diesel tractor it's a gasoline engined motorcycle and I ride it as such.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
If it aint broke then I won't fix it. Carbon building in your pipe is pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about it but if you decide to clean the inside then it may be a good idea to uninstall them and start from top to botom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.