Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought the bike and the guy delivered it dirty, said he didnt have time to clean it. Likely story. Anyway, it really needs a bath after being daily transportation for him. I've never washed a bike and was wondering if there are any specifics. I assume soap and water are safe for the plastics and not to wash it when it's hot. Anything particular for the seat? Wheels?

I'm still learning the drying method :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

on dirty stuff like that i use simple green,wet the bike down,spray on simple green,and rinse
works pretty good for most grime and is safe on plastics and rubber

best drying method is 80mph on a flat road :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
DON'T use a high pressure hose. I just run a light spray over mine, wipe it down using regular car wash soap, then rinse. Be careful of the disc brakes after you're done, until they are completely dry. After that i go over all the painted parts with an Armor-All car wash wipe. Picks up the water spots and leaves a nice shine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys. I'm a big fan of Simple Green. How about the front sprocket area...my bike is missing the cover and theres lots of grime and grease in there. Should it be cleaned or left alone?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

just grease slung of the sprocket-get out the goop and get a new cover

it'll just get greasy again when you lube the chain :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the rims and spocks and sprockets I used hand cleaner. You would not believe how good it worked. The stuff I used was safe for all surfaces and good for your hands too. Here is some pictures to show you how well it cleaned off 27 years of goo from my vintage bike and the last pic is of the cleaner used for reference.

I was trying to clean off years of built up grease, chain lube, dirt and goo off of my rims/sprockets because I got them back from Paparo all trued up and new tire on the front. After many attempts of degreaser and simple green and car wash/dish detergent I had accomplished removing much crud but was still only smearing the chain/lube/goo/grease mixture around and was starting to get mad. I tried some WD-40 and it was getting it off but it would have taken a week.

So then I got to thinking, when we work on cars/bikes and our hands are all caked with the nastiest goo that will not come off with soap and water, what do we use? Mechanics hand cleaner! This stuff literally melts away any kind of grime you have on your hands. So I thought, hmmm.... why not try it on the rims? It works like a charm! Lube up your hands real good and get in there with your fingers and go. Turning the tire as you work your way around. It took minimal effort, moisturized my hands in the process and cleaned all that junk off like it was dust!

Before cleaning, you can't really see the rear sprocket here but I assure you it is black!

After cleaning, scroll down for both pics:

Front rim:

The magic goop :)

I imagine mostly any good hand cleaner like GOJO or others will work as well but this was a real time saver and was so easy on my hands that I didn't even need to wear gloves. Remember to rinse well with water after you do this and I like to blow dry with the air compressor then dry towel it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your all welcome guys. It was really a great working low cost solution and I was so glad I thought of it. I love to share ideas that actually work :)

he he he

I put up a used KZ400,500,550 manual in the swap meet section if anyone needs one. It's up on eBay.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I need to clean ages of dirt and oil off the bottom of my Gpz750. Did a search of threads and came upon this. Since there are a few of us in the same boat, I thought this might be of value.

The thread is old, but worth the read.

Thanks Hoomgar

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
forest1000 said:
I need to clean ages of dirt and oil off the bottom of my Gpz750. Did a search of threads and came upon this. Since there are a few of us in the same boat, I thought this might be of value.

The thread is old, but worth the read.

Thanks Hoomgar
Thanks for bringing it up...great idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts