Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this from Phat Performance Parts about a month ago, and it just arrived today (they were out of stock). My first impressions of it, out of the box, is it's rather cheaply made and almost looks used. The inside of the back of it is all dirty, with red silicone messily sealing up holes where wires come out, and rough epoxy. The clear lens is stuck in the plastichrome housing with hot glue. The wires coming out for the turn signals are about 3" long and look like they were installed on a bike and then cut short.

The quality of the lens is fine, but the plastichrome housing is really cheesy. It's faintly wavy and the edges are rough and look like they'd chip easily.

I'll have to see what it looks like installed (probably tonight) but thus far I'm not impressed. Hopefully it's bright. If worst comes to worst, I might just pry the clear cover off, take out the board, and install it on my stock housing. Either that or return it.

We shall see...

Anybody else have this and can give their thoughts on it?

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I have it on my 900 and love it.
I got mine from a forum member here brand new and min looked brand new. I'm sure you'll like it once you install it. Good luck

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the back:

The dirt rubs off with my finger. Were your signal leads that short on yours, V-Twin?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also have one on my V2k and it looked brand new out of the box and i like it also, But on the down side i did notice that you have to make sure that it is plugged in really well or some of the leds will not work correctly. I had this happened to me. Also looking at it from the side people may not see the leds as well during the daylight as they will at night. just a couple of things to point out. I know that if the leds do go out and i've had mine since they first came out so there's no turning back, i will pull the clear lense off and mount it on my original light and put some red bulbs in it. I love the clear look on the back. Heres a picture. I hope you can see it ok. Chester
Note-- I just saw your pictures ophidia and i hope that v-twin chimes in cause mine looked no where like that. My light looked exactly like my original light did from the back. I would contact CA about the quality of this light before i install it.

·
big wheels
38 Posts
i got a smoked one on my vn2000 it didnt look like that i had longer indicator wires although i didnt use them it dont look the best off the bike but it looks great on their it dosent look very bright in day light but it does the job in the dark

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
No problems with mine, really groovin to them... also groovin the fact that they came stock with the bike--:smile:

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
I have yet to see,though, anyone riding with one of these helmet brake-light LED strips. Does seem like it would give a larger amount of night visibility to ones precious melon. :)

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed:

It looks fine with the rubber edging covering up the edges. All the LED's work too (at least the red ones) :p

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As mentioned above, it's not particularly bright as a running light, but the brake light is nice and bright. I didn't hook up the turn signal wires last night but probably will eventually.

+1 on the side mount.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lesson learned. Don't wait 10 Months to install something with a 12 Month warranty. :lol:

I loved mine, until the running light quit working. It had turned into 100% brake light all the time. Something on the mother board, because anytime a current gets applied to the running wire, it, like I stated, lights up the world like the brakes are on. I run with the running light wire disconnected now. I have 2 little circles lit up in the turning signals (Turn Signal Conversion Kit - Side Mount Bulb Style) for my only running lights now. So far, I have not been pulled over.

I still think it is one cool upgrade. I will have to open the wallet and pop for a new one again somtime.

Herb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts