Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I only started getting into motorcycles about this time last year, and most of what I know is about cruisers, not sport bikes.

My first question is this. My second bike (which I should have in about a week! :D ) was listed for sale as "1985 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX 600 SUPER SPORT". That doesn't bring up a lot of results in google. So far, I've found that it could be:
ZX6
ZX6r
GPZ600
GPZ600r

as far as I can tell, "GPZ" is what it was called in europe while "ZX" is the designator given to it for america. I know that the bike is the bike, but for correctness' sake, I want to call it by the right name.

next, is there a fact sheet on this bike somewhere? I'm looking for a quick reference that tells all the specific details down to foot-pounds of torque at redline. I saw one for the hayabusa that had ammounts of information that only engineers would be interested in, and that's kind of what i'm looking for.

lastly, this bike is almost 20 years old. How does it compare with a 1995, or a 2004? the only reason I ask this is because I've read a lot of opinions here about how the size of the bike can be a danger factor for less experienced riders, but I'm not sure if everyone is comparing a 2004 ninja 250r to a 2004 zx600r , or if it's even reasonable to compare a 2004 600r ro a 1985 600r. (my gut tells me that yes, it is reasonable, but I also see some people here saying that some of the 600s of today are more powerful than the 1000+s of yesteryear).

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Your bike is a Ninja 600 designated US model is ZX600r and is plenty fast. In 85 when it was released it became the number one selling bike for Kawasaki. I bought one in 86 and it is a blast to ride.

In comparison to a newer bike 95 or so it does not have as much power.And compared to an 04 - 2 different bikes. The ninja 900(84-86) 115HP would have issues keeping up with a Ninja 600 of today.

In fact at that time in 1985 it was considered a good starter bike and competed with the likes of a Honda 500 Interceptor (great bike as well) and Suzuki GS550ES I think it was. The Ninja was more aggressive then either of its counterparts and was better handling, faster etc.

The foreign versions known as Gpz600r or Gpz600 if you do some searches, but here in the states it was introduced as the Ninja 600. This is the middleweight that started them all just as the Ninja 900 is the grandfather of all sportbikes. Liquid cooled technology and 16 valve engine! Top speed was claimed 135, but I got mine up to 120 and it got really scarry on I-5.

A couple of things to think about. You will steer fairly quick with the 16" tires. Check your AVDS system on the bikes front forks. Hit the brakes and lunge forward three times, by the third time the suspension should be stiff so you can't push - if this is not the case you will need to rebuild the system.

Post up any other questions you may have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, here we go.
1Adam12 said:
In fact at that time in 1985 it was considered a good starter bike
20 years ago it was a good starter bike. so it's fair to compare it with today's (or ten years ago's) ninja 250r?

1Adam12 said:
Top speed was claimed 135, but I got mine up to 120 and it got really scarry on I-5.
I'm a bit nervous about this, too. I don't bring much to the equation, actually -- I weigh less than half what the bike does (150 with clothes) and i'm a bit worried about being tossed about by a stiff breeze or the wind from passing cages.

1Adam12 said:
A couple of things to think about. You will steer fairly quick with the 16" tires. Check your AVDS system on the bikes front forks. Hit the brakes and lunge forward three times, by the third time the suspension should be stiff so you can't push - if this is not the case you will need to rebuild the system.
Should i keep the 16"s when I replace the tires? or go bigger? smaller? I don't understand "Hit the brakes and lunge forward three times, by the third time the suspension should be stiff so you can't push". do you mean with the bike stopped and brakes held, lean forward to tip the headlight to the ground (keepin gback tire on the pavement)? I shouldn't be able to compress it more than three times? that's "forks", right? about how much would it cost me to rebuild?

1Adam12 said:
Post up any other questions you may have.
I keep seeing people refer to "squids", often in conjunction with not wearing riding gear, or starting out on zx10s and having very short life expectancy. I keep thinking "squid = sailor" (former marine, old habits die hard), is there anything there or does it mean something completely different in this context?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Let's see, ps...the bike is going to be plenty fast, you don't have to worry about wind, and trucker wind speed will only affect you if you let it. Adam will answer your question about the tire/suspension I'm sure.

Have you seen AMA racing of any kind? Have you seen a kid wearing no gear, no matter what size bike racing in and out of traffic at speeds way to high for that much traffic? You have seen a squid.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It was a starter bike at the time and was the smallest sportbike Kawasaki had. You could have gotten a Gpz550 or the Ninja 600. The Ninja 600 will do circles around the Ninja 250(has more horsepower), has better brakes and suspension. The 250 is a great bike - just different. Whats more important between the two is what is between your ears. Since you have ridden cruisers before you should be fine with your old school Ninja. Now if you said you wanted an 04 Ninja 600 I would put the brakes on and say you are smoking the Jamba!

Wouldn't worry about being tossed around, but I personally don't make it a habit to ride close to trucks anyways. That bike is fairly heavy and years after they went to a special edition all aluminum frame to keep up with the Honda Hurricanes (forerunners to the 600 F series)

Keep the 16" front as it would not be cost effective to change the bikes geometry and ride to make them 17" rims. The anti dive system suspensions gave riders issues if they were not properly maintenanced. What happens is you have a cartride style system that allows oil through a diaphram. The smaller the hole the less oil goes through and you have a stiffer suspension. Conversely if you open the hole you will have a softer ride. The forks adjust 1-4 with 4 being the smallest hole and 1 being the largest hole. Sometimes the valves get frozen open and the suspension is mush..... To test your suspension you would get on your bike, pull in the front brake to the front wheel cannot move and lunge down on the bike with a forward push. The front end should squat. In the same motion and still holding in the brake push forward again - you should not be able to push as far forward/down and the next time it should just be stiff. AVDS Automatic Variable Damping System. The rear wheel should be on the ground.

Overhaul parts should cost about 20-30 for both forks not including oil

No offense to the sailors out there, but I believe the original term squid came from Britain to mean motorcycle riders, however in the way it used here and now it defines a wannabe loser, bonehead etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Squids

ere in Australia a Squid is an idiot who goes riding (when its hot and sunny) with thongs (Jesus sandles) shorts (SHort trousers) and a vest, (some people call them a tank top or muscle top)

MIk

It was a starter bike at the time and was the smallest sportbike Kawasaki had. You could have gotten a Gpz550 or the Ninja 600. The Ninja 600 will do circles around the Ninja 250(has more horsepower), has better brakes and suspension. The 250 is a great bike - just different. Whats more important between the two is what is between your ears. Since you have ridden cruisers before you should be fine with your old school Ninja. Now if you said you wanted an 04 Ninja 600 I would put the brakes on and say you are smoking the Jamba!

Wouldn't worry about being tossed around, but I personally don't make it a habit to ride close to trucks anyways. That bike is fairly heavy and years after they went to a special edition all aluminum frame to keep up with the Honda Hurricanes (forerunners to the 600 F series)

Keep the 16" front as it would not be cost effective to change the bikes geometry and ride to make them 17" rims. The anti dive system suspensions gave riders issues if they were not properly maintenanced. What happens is you have a cartride style system that allows oil through a diaphram. The smaller the hole the less oil goes through and you have a stiffer suspension. Conversely if you open the hole you will have a softer ride. The forks adjust 1-4 with 4 being the smallest hole and 1 being the largest hole. Sometimes the valves get frozen open and the suspension is mush..... To test your suspension you would get on your bike, pull in the front brake to the front wheel cannot move and lunge down on the bike with a forward push. The front end should squat. In the same motion and still holding in the brake push forward again - you should not be able to push as far forward/down and the next time it should just be stiff. AVDS Automatic Variable Damping System. The rear wheel should be on the ground.

Overhaul parts should cost about 20-30 for both forks not including oil

No offense to the sailors out there, but I believe the original term squid came from Britain to mean motorcycle riders, however in the way it used here and now it defines a wannabe loser, bonehead etc.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
I got one I got one!!!
It's registered here in Aus as a GPZ600r so that's what I've been calling it.
I have ridden all kindsa things over the last 30 plus years and the little "ninja" is still providing loads of fun for me.
The 16" wheels limit tyre choice a bit but I've been told it's a BIG deal to change 'em so I've not worried.
I've done and had done quite a bit of work on it over the last cuppla years so give me a yell if you need to compare notes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It was also called a GPZ600R IN the UK, I bought one there in 1985. now just got another one here in oz.

MIk

I got one I got one!!!
It's registered here in Aus as a GPZ600r so that's what I've been calling it.
I have ridden all kindsa things over the last 30 plus years and the little "ninja" is still providing loads of fun for me.
The 16" wheels limit tyre choice a bit but I've been told it's a BIG deal to change 'em so I've not worried.
I've done and had done quite a bit of work on it over the last cuppla years so give me a yell if you need to compare notes.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
It was also called a GPZ600R IN the UK, I bought one there in 1985. now just got another one here in oz.

MIk
Cool , how is the one you just acquired going ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
well I have done the following so far.
stripped top end down and reset everything, tapets/cam chaine etc.
new coils (accelecoils)
stripped down forks, reconditioned advs, new seals etc
removed all the fairing parts (ready to go a get resprayed on Tuesday)
waiting for new front disks rotors sometime next week.
recond the master calipers/cylinder.
pulled back end apart, looks as need rear disk rotor.
waiting for tyres to be delivered.
stripped cooling system down, replaced some of the conector pipes.
pulled off parts and resprayed them.

then of course IM going to have to rebuild it all back. the bike wasnt running very well, stripped carbies and now going much better along with the new coils.

switch on front brake wasnt working renewed, also renewed accelerator cable.

MIk

Cool , how is the one you just acquired going ?

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Generally speaking, the term "squid" is believed to have originated as a racing term. Derived as an abreviation of "squirrelry kid", refering to someone with little skill, who was riding over his ability/skill level. Often taking other riders out with them when they crashed, or getting in the way of more experianced racers. Not all new racers were squids, and most squids didn't last long at the track.

On the street, squid has eveolved to meen differant things to differant riders. Some consider anyone riding a sportbike without propper gear a squid, while to others it's the guy doing wheelies and stoppies in the middle of traffic. For many it's both. Yet we don't (generally) call cruiser riders squids for wearing a t-shirt and no helmet, and many of the stunters actually can ride very well. So I generally try to reserve the term for anyone on a bike who is just in over thier heads and don't realize it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question need help on what rims are interchangeable with what models.. I have a 1998 ZX 11D and I am just wandering which model wheels can fit on which models. I have been told that ZXR and ZX rims are interchangeable. For example ZXR 12 rims and ZX 11D rims will fit each other... Any information will be appreciated...

Delano

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 1986 Ninja 600R that was what it was called there was no ZX6 attached to the name was a very fun bike i put over 20k miles on it in 1993 im not sure but i think its matches up pretty well with the 250s today looks wise it seems similar..I dont think the ZX6 came out till like 1996 was first one i saw a friend had bought one it was Green and White and much faster then my 600R...Try and google 1986 Kawi Ninja 600R you should get more listings...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts