Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new problem. Can anyone help me diagnosis is so that I can fix it.
My bike recently started making a clicking noise once the bike starts and it clicks to the beat of the engine. I'm thinking pistons or someone mentioned it could be the sprocket

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
You say that it parallels the engine's rev's? So you hear the clicking get quicker as you rev the engine when it's in neutral--or only when you ride it? If it happens when it's in neutral when you rev the engine, it might be a valve sticking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't repair you bike at Moreland Choppers...San Diego

I kept smelling a burn smell like oil. So I checked the oil. There wasn't any!
I'm ****ed. Because I "had my oil changed" at a shop that did a tune up on bike. They didn't even touch the oil. The filter is as filthy as can be and no oil in the tank at all. Because of the experience that I had with other problems as well I will do all the work on my bike myself. That's what google and forums are for!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Similar experience here. I took the bike in for the 600 miles service which is supposed to include a valve adjust. I do the next valve adjust service myself, and when I take off the valve cover, all the valves have red paint on them. The exhausts are TIGHT, and by the time I am finished, most of the red paint is gone. So it seems that no one had been in there since the factory.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Dude that sucks! It's so difficult finding a shop that you can trust; I never take the shop that I go to for granted. At the very least, take your receipt showing the mileage of your bike and the dirty oil filter; tell them to give you a new filter since you paid for one.

BrianT: Actually, no 600 mile service includes a valve check. As the shop that I bought/took my Z1000 to for it's 600 mile service said, "...it's a glorified oil change...". He said that they do go down a check list to make sure that fluid levels are fine and that bolts are tight, but it's not much more than that. For my Z I paid $175 for the 600 mile service; I paid $350 for the 8.5k service on my 500R which did include the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Intersting... the mom says valve check at 600 miles. The service manual says 7500. I paid $350 for the 600 mile service after looking in the mom and not wanting to get that involved that early. I think one way or the other I got it in the end.

I think I will die with a wrench in my hand before I let anyone else touch the bike again :) Having worked on cars most of my life, it is so refreshing to work on something so small and easy. But there was the '62 Sunbeam Alpine... When I rebuilt it's engine, I did not need a hoist to r/r the engine. Just stood in the engine compartment and lifted it in/out :)

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.