Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the known solutions to having a clock on a 500R? A friend of mine mounted some cheap digital clock on a velcro strip but it did not last long in Texas sun. The display went black because of exposure to direct sun. I thought about it but it is so annoying to detach it every time I park the bike... I also saw another solution on a new Harley. That guy had analog clock with Harley's logo mounted to the left side of the handlebars via on of the bolts that attach the clutch lever assembly to the bars. Looks good and should be possible to do on my 500R. But where can I get something similar? Preferably without Harley's logo and stuff :)

May be there are other solutions out there? Any hints?
Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Freakinout said:
A analog clock would last longer than a cheap digital one, but I'm not sure where you'd find a small one. walmart?
I'll give it a try but analog may not survive all the vibration... I kinda envy to the owners of 6R for their dashboard :)

I might be weird but my primary instrumentation (in the decreasing order of importance) would be: tachometer, clock, speedometer. If there was an option of the actual gear indicator I'd stick it between tacho and clock.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Freakinout said:
A analog clock would last longer than a cheap digital one, but I'm not sure where you'd find a small one. walmart?
Yes it probably would, I actually have a very small digital, velcro sticky, I got at Target ($2.00) and it works great, I have'nt had any problems with it coming off in the heat etc......

Trial and error......
Good Luck!! :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
yup, for the price of that jsut buy a really nice and expensive watch, then flick your wrist and show it off elsewhere :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
im not sure how much room is on the newer dashes unlike my 90 ex500 where theres alot of spare room.. but if your looking for a clock and that would match the 500r gauges pretty good i think is the Autometer z-series i belive is black with orange needle analog clock jsut mount it in there i think i would look pretty good but hey how much do you wana spend on a clock..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Harley Davidson sells some cool little chrome clocks that you stick on. They are analog with a white face. I plan on getting a round one and sticking to the chrome cap on the triple tree.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIME

There are handlebar clocks like www.marlins-motorcycles.com available, but I prefer my Radioshack stopwatch, with velcro attached to it. It has several modes, an alarm, stopwatch...you get the idea...it's large enough to read and the velcro takes out about 98% of any vibration. Best of all it tucks in deep enough to be out of the direct sunlight and can be removed should I wish not to leave it mounted. I suppose that you could remove the neck lanyard and use a nylon zip-strip or whatever to mount it, though. Cheap, multifunction, waterproof/resistant, and replaceable.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FULL BODY

Joe, nice looks for a 500R! I have never seen one dressed up for some long rides. Great look, and nice Ninja!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: FULL BODY

ZX-2R said:
Joe, nice looks for a 500R! I have never seen one dressed up for some long rides. Great look, and nice Ninja!
Thanks, I liked the way it looked so much, that why I used the pic. Don't see many of the dressed out like that. I spent a 3-day weekend out with what I had there. Put a little over 500 miles out it that weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nice dress up

Definately a nice PIC, Joe. Does it handle better full dressed?

·
Registered
412 Posts
At that time I was riding with two friends. One has a Shadow 750 and the other a GoldWing. So never did go get on it hard. But what we did do (90% back roads) never seamed to bother the handling. Tried to keep the saddlebags as close as I could weight wise.

Joe

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
saddlebags and tank bag

Are the bags nylon, and who made them? I'm looking at a hopefully 3 day trip when I get to buy mine...I want to try them on for size here in KS then go to our sponsor in Red Lodge, MT to actually get it. I have a bad back, but I'm numb so the only problem I have is actually geting off the bike after some saddle time...even with my back braces, and pain medications. I'm able to take the maximum dosage now without any effects and have cycled my way from full amounts to sparse amounts several times now and my body now can take what ever I can dish out (or take in pills now.) A Ninja500R/Ex500 weighes more than a zx-600r, the Ninja 250R weighs less...but I'm more inclined to purchase FI rather than Carbs, and the lighter bikes are a preference. 16"tires on the EX250 and and old frame, are way behind the ZZR-250 offered in Canada, and in Europe...ANYWAY, I'm good at rambling...I just know that having decent soft luggage is a must if you are going to be on almost any overnighter. Getting it all into a tank bag is an almost...I prefer the lower CG and ability to tuck if I should run into bugs, honeybees, etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Old analog wristwatch (with backlite) attached to the handlebars. I put it there while turning wrenches on my bike, and forgot about it. Comes in handy, especially when I'm running late (as I usually am). Also comes in handy when I forget my watch, as it's removable. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
The bags are the Joe Rocket Sport Saddle Bags. I like them because they are 6 in wide, but can expand to 12 in if you need more space. On my three-day trip I did not need to expand them as everything I needed fit just fine. Bought them new off ebay for $86.00 shipped, retail for them $139.00. This is off the JR web site.
Soft Luggage

* 600 denier nylon construction with water and stain resistant coating
* Quick release buckle with hook and loop adjustable mounting system
* Rubber reinforced bottom
* Hard plastic reinforcements on side and bottom
* Rivited carry handle
* Shoulder strap, reflective pull tabs
* Heavy duty accessory "D" rings
* Clear vinyl rain covers, accepts full face helmet
* Zippered expansion panel expands to 12" wide
* 19"L x 6"W x 10"H

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clock & Touring with the 500R

I know this thread is a bit old, but I couldn't resist adding to it. I just joined this forum, having bought my first bike (2004 500R) in April 2004. As you can see, I've dressed mine for touring, too. All four bags are a matching set from Nelson-Rigg.

Anyway, I would like to see an analog clock with a white, luminous face that mounts in place of the chrome fork center cap. If any of you run across such an item, please drop me a line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts