Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know we're going to have these situations, but hope and plan as best we can to avoid them. Finally I had a close one that caused me to cross the double yellows to avoid rear-ending a pickup truck. It was totally my fault because I was indeed going way too fast. I topped the hill in time to see a pickup pulling out into the road. Never saw him until that point, and I had very little time to react. I hit the rear brake, it started coming around on me and then wheel-hopping before I could back off the brake. I noticed that there was no oncoming traffic (thankfully), so I steered to his left, and managed to regain complete control by the time I was next to his rear fender.

I got lucky that time, but it's so easy to fall into the beauty of the ride and the sensation of the high speed. I hope I can use that lesson to protect me better in the future. I've been looking at even faster bikes, so maybe this is a warning to put that on hold for awhile.

·
Elmer
281 Posts
We have several hills in this area where the crests continues to curve so sharply that they severely limit forward visibilit for what seems like extended periods of time. Slowing down immediately on recognizing the situation seems to be the only smart course of action. Motor vehicles, farm tractors, implements, deer, bicycle riders, pets are all possibilities and that oncoming lane doesn't always offer an escape. I once crested a hill only to see a school buss coming my way and strattling the double yellow as he was approaching a driveway he wanted to turn into. Charlie has it right: "Don't ride faster than the distance you can see to stiop in".

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
...and stay off the rear brake!!! :shock:

makes ya pucker, don't it! :)
Absolutely be careful with the rear brake is something I've had to repeatedly coach myself on. I have a nasty habit of more rear brake and less front brake - it's been nigh impossible to break the habit (no pun in ten did :lol:)

One of the best lessons I've learned is to not let go of the rear brake when it's locked up. I did that ONCE at slow speed and it shocked me how quickly the rear tire grabbed and shifted the bike.

No accident, just a very valuable lesson.

·
KawiLove
2,933 Posts
I've been looking at even faster bikes, so maybe this is a warning to put that on hold for awhile.
And people are giving me sh*t because I'm limiting myself on a 250 for that exact reason... finally, someone else says it.

I was riding behind bretsk2500 once - he on his 600 - me on my 250 - and I noticed a slightly hidden stop sign that apparently he missed as he cruised on by at a slightly faster speed than was suggested for that road. Before I could hit the horn to alert him of the upcoming intersection, I saw his back tire begin to smoke and shimmy as he hit the brake a little too hard. When we stopped at the next intersection together, I flipped up my visor and smartly said, "Missed that stop sign, huh?" He gave me a prompt middle finger salute then left me in the dust as he shot waaaay ahead of me. lol

The only time my back tire locked up was when I was downshifting improperly, I guess. I'm still not sure what happened, but it made me very nervous. Glad you weren't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.