Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I have noticed for myself is how much more I pay attention when I am on my bike or even in my car. This morning I was on my bike riding to work like normal and of course there is this merge lane that comes onto my lane I saw the car coming I knew just knew he wasn't going to look, stop, yield or nothing, so made my choice no on coming traffic and of course avoided him, Luckily I didn't have to take out any anger on him the car behind me had plenty to say to him as they came within inches of hitting each other. That MSF course is a life saver.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I have also noticed I'm more aware of my surroundings while in the cage since I started riding. Good practice, on a subconscious level, I guess :)

·
Elmer
281 Posts
I continue to be amazed at how many merging drivers feel they have the right of way. As a matter of habbit their ignorance continues to force established traffic to either brake or change lanes and this becomes more than a simple inconvenience when there is no empty lane to move into or the driver behind you is not paying strict attention.

·
Registered
362 Posts
An experienced rider can read traffic and know what a driver is going to do before he/she does it. There are many signs and tells, and as a rule, bike riders are much better drivers, too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw him coming and not slowing down, I knew he wasn't going to look not only for me or for the cars behind me. I had to make a quick choice I knew I had enough time to brake but too afraid that car behind me didn't, so no oncoming traffic I just went around and of course watched brakes lock up behind me as I am sure the two cars came within inches of colliding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always said that being a rider makes you the best defensive driver of a car there is, because you become convinced that everyone is out to kill you!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've always said that being a rider makes you the best defensive driver of a car there is, because you become convinced that everyone is out to kill you!
I am noticing that too, but I'm also finding that the members of my family are becoming much more aware too because I'm riding a bike now - my mom and sister tell me stories all the time about things they've seen now that they never noticed before. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Riding a bike really does make one more aware of their surroundings. My wife commented on that last summer just being a passenger. She received her endorsment a few months back and and made the comment that it would probably be a good idea for all drivers to get a little experience on a bike before being able to get their license. Not a bad idea!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am trying to get my wife to take the course, actually I am hoping eventually she will want to ride on her own, 2 bikes are better than one

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
It is amazing how you start seeing those little cues that indicate someone isn't looking out for you - even looking right at you. Plus, it only takes one close call for most people to suddenly change their habits: leaving more room, watching for the unexpected, looking further ahead and planning escape routes.

All that often translates to the cage, which can make you a better driver there, too.

Of course, this only works if you actually make the effort to ride in a safe manner. The guy who insists on riding excessively fast, tailgating and cutting in an out of lanes of traffic is probably going to do that no matter what vehicle they are at the controls of.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The guy that does that will be zipping across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the "fast" lane ASAP.

Brian

·
Registered
34 Posts
I came real close to getting smeared last year by some twenties thing, driving an SUV with a cell phone stuck to the side of her head.

5 lanes with the center lane being for left turns. She was traveling in the outside lane and I was on the inner. My lane was moving faster so as I came up on her I started watching and sure as heck she decided she wanted my lane RIGHT NOW. She never once checked for an empty lane.

I was already even with her rear quarter and the center lane had a car waiting to turn left. I had nowhere to go and had no choice but go for the panic stop, hoping the car behind me didn't get me. Scared the hell out of me. This dimwit missed me by inches and never once looked in her mirror. To this day I doubt she knows why she got the mighty 1 finger salute when I passed her down the road.

I am convinced that if I hadn't planned on her trying to kill me, she would have succeeded in doing just that.

I recently added a Stebel Nauilus horn to my ride and will not be shy about letting people know I am there if I anticipate stupid behavior.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most SUV drivers I find are the worse, of course my "other" vehicle is an SUV. Unfortunately most think they rule the world and everyone else can get out of the way. I am glad to hear that you were ok. I personally plan on ordering the Stebel Horn myself in the next week or so.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Glad to hear you escaped OK.

I read an article about longevity issues with Stebel horns?

Part of it is the type of person that tends to buy SUVs. They used to buy minivans. As a class they tend not to know how to use mirrors/check blind spots.

Brian

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a close call a couple years ago, some young teenage looking girl was reading a magazine & ran a stop sign, she had the magazine spread across the steering wheel! it looked like a hair style magazine, yes I was that close!!!!

Later,
Randy

·
Banned
97 Posts
2 things on my before riding checklist: 1. Is right hand firmly attached to the nerves to your brain? and 2. Is the notion that everything out there with more than 2 wheels is trying to kill you firmly etched in your brain? Then Im off.BJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
After surviving a 65 MPH sideswipe angular crash from a 3/4 ton pickup truck and skidding 200 feet on the highway I leaned a few things (1) wear protection (2) act like you are invisable and (3) assume they will drive into your path.

Also, don't assume the intersection is safe just because your light is green.

hurting and still riding

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
..................that's because they are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
let me tell you how ridiculous people are I work at a large computer company in central Texas, gee wonder who. Anyway we have a long "driveway" more like a road that leads to the building you come to a stop sign can go right or left to the parking lots. Well a cager yesterday was in his car going out towards the road, and well guess he was too busy texting on his phone ran smack into a light post on the long Driveway. I tell you what an idiot tore his bumper off probably cost him a couple of grand in damage

1 - 20 of 20 Posts