Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic, and I am in the process of replacing the clutch cable. I have everything complete except for getting the slug into the slot on the transmission end of the cable. I can't seem to figure out how to get the slug into position. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Steve

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I have to laugh. Not at you, but at the situation. I was in the same situation not 2 weeks ago. best way I found to do it was the tranny side first. Have it pointing to the rear wheel when you put the end it. then it should swivel back to its normal position. then hook it into the handle. That was the only way I was able to do it.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
^^Yep...that's what I found too. I also used an opened end wrench (5/8 I think) to actuate the clutch arm making the cable installation a little easier. One other note, I used a Barnett cable and the "slug" and the hole were exactly the same size. I had to open the hole up a tad with a Dremel to get it to go in.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A great deal of expletives seemed to help me get it done. :mad: And yes, approaching from the rear works best.

BTW, where did you get your replacement from? I couldn't find any online so I ended up having a local shop make one for me. Thx.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
A great deal of expletives seemed to help me get it done. :mad: And yes, approaching from the rear works best.

BTW, where did you get your replacement from? I couldn't find any online so I ended up having a local shop make one for me. Thx.
I bought my from cheapcycleparts.com. All OEM Stuff. I am sure BTK can sell it too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the part through a local shop (Kawasaki dealer) here in Asheville, NC. The part itself came from a company called Magnum Shielding.

As far as rotating the arm around to the back in order to install the slug, I gave that a try. I could get the slug into place, but the problem came when I tried to rotate the swivel back around to face forward. The slug is too long to allow it to rotate back forward. When I contacted the manufacturer about this issue with installing the slug on the transmission side, they recommended removing the pin to allow me to take the swivel completely off. That would allow the slug to be fit into place before reinstalling the swivel and pin. I had thought of that, but was hesitant to remove the pin. That seems to be a very important little piece of metal, and I figured that every time it is stressed (removal and replacement), it becomes weaker. Any thoughts on the dangers of removing the pin to take the swivel off?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Cheers!
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.