Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When sitting idle with the clutch in, it's pretty quiet. But with the clutch out, it makes this 'cack-cack-cack-cack' sound. Goes quiet as soon as I squeeze the clutch in again. Seems to do it more when the engine is warm. Any fixes?

Also found out today there's a hole in the right muffler, doh!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ADJUSTMENT

Adjust the clutch cable as per instructions only a little slack and for the hole go to www.por15.com IF you can't stop the clutch chatter with an adjustment stop by a couple of mechanics and ask them, advice is free...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
EXHAUST

OF course IF you are looking for a reason to buy an aftermarket exhaust, look around and then call OZ Cycle Salvage, Ottawa,KS 785-242-0600 and tell Brad or Tim that you are looking for one and IF they have what you want tell them Lindsey Angell, from Gardner, KS., told you to ask for the Kawasaki Forum Discount.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to eventually get a repair manual. I fixed the hole with some mullfer mender from the auto parts store. I plan on replacing them both with at least stock parts in the near future.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SALVAGE YARD

Salvage yard like OZ Cycle Salvage 785-242-0600. tell them Lindsey Angell said to give you the ( BRAD or TIM) and ask for the Kawasaki Fourm Discount. Or perhaps a local salvage yard...you could also find some great aftermarket mufflers there too!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, according to the '04 Owners manual it says the proper play is 2-3mm

Not sure if mine is that tight, so maybe I should adjust it too...

Instructions in the manual are:

-Loosen the locknut at the clutch lever.
-Turn the adjuster so that the clutch lever will have the specified free play.

Looks like the locknut and adjusters are on the back side of the left grip following the cable from the end of the actual lever. the locknut is the larger of the two and at least on the '04 they aren't hex bolts... no idea on the amount of torque to keep them in place.

Also has a warning to make sure you keep the cable and assmbly together or you could lose control of the clutch if you ride like that.

-Tighten the locknut.
-If it cannot be done, use the mounting nuts at the lower end of the cable.

Which is referring to where the cable connects to the actual transmission and you have two hex nuts. Supposively that's self explanitory as it doesn't have the lock or adjuster nut labeled.

There's also a side note saying fine adjustments should be done at the lever.

Also, I've heard from many experienced 250 riders that the clutch noise is normal, don't worry about it. The bike will not explode, nor is anything greviously wrong. If the clutch starts to malfunction you should worry, but not about the noise. Info comes from http://www.ninja250.com/ You can look thru the forums and FAQ's for a plethora of information.

Well, hopefully some of that was of use...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts