Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Such a kawi newbie!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 84 zx900 and I'm having clutch issues. What's happening is that I barely have to squeeze the clutch to change gears and when coming out of first the clutch engages with me barely holding the lever. The only thing I changed was the oil to valvoline durablend. It wasn't doing it before and I wanted to know if anyone ever had this happen to them. I bleed the clutch...solid fluid coming out. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys!!!! Oh and the bike has only 13k.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 84 zx900 and I'm having clutch issues. What's happening is that I barely have to squeeze the clutch to change gears and when coming out of first the clutch engages with me barely holding the lever. The only thing I changed was the oil to valvoline durablend. It wasn't doing it before and I wanted to know if anyone ever had this happen to them. I bleed the clutch...solid fluid coming out. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys!!!! Oh and the bike has only 13k.
Why did you switch to a car oil?

Personally I would dump it immediately, and change the oil filter to.

Refill with a quality oil, thats good for a wet clutch, and pray it will be okay.

Valvoline.com > Products > Motor Oil > Synthetic Blend Motor Oil > DuraBlend® Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

·
Such a kawi newbie!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that it used regular 10w40 oil! I'll change it tomorrow! I hope I didn't mess anything up! What do I need...Please direct me as I'm using local auto stores!!!

·
Such a kawi newbie!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked and I did not read the sf part. So now I'd like to know how bad the damage could be! I've been riding for about 100 or so miles like that thinking that it would go away. Please excuse me for being a newb guys...I've never personally worked on a bike. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

·
20,826 Posts
Just checked and I did not read the sf part. So now I'd like to know how bad the damage could be! I've been riding for about 100 or so miles like that thinking that it would go away. Please excuse me for being a newb guys...I've never personally worked on a bike. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Well change it and hope for the best.

Personally i would go to Shell rotella 15w40.

I use it in my own bikes, my wifes, kids, and hundreds and hundreds of my customers bikes, with great results.

·
Such a kawi newbie!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just came from walmart northern man and grabbed a filter. I saw the rotella 15w40 oil but I didin't see that it was SE or SF approved, as stated in the manual. Would that make a difference? I didn't purchase because I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

·
20,826 Posts
I just came from walmart northern man and grabbed a filter. I saw the rotella 15w40 oil but I didin't see that it was SE or SF approved, as stated in the manual. Would that make a difference? I didn't purchase because I wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Take my word on it, the shell rotella 15w40 is a good oil for your bike.

Its in everyone of my own bikes currently to, except my 2 strokes. I use it in everything from the KLR to the ZX14.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do have difficulty understanding the nature of this clutch malfunction. But I'd bet that it is not related to the engine oil change. If this is a hydraulic clutch, and you found some solids in the brake fluid in the clutch hydraulic system, then this may be the source of your problems. You or a competent person needs to do a surgical cleanliness rebuild of the clutch hydraulic system.

·
20,826 Posts
I do have difficulty understanding the nature of this clutch malfunction. But I'd bet that it is not related to the engine oil change. If this is a hydraulic clutch, and you found some solids in the brake fluid in the clutch hydraulic system, then this may be the source of your problems. You or a competent person needs to do a surgical cleanliness rebuild of the clutch hydraulic system.
I assumed it could be oil related, as he just changed to a different, and wrong oil.

I also assume by solid fluid, he meant no air bubbles, just fluid as it should be if bled correctly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good point. "Solid fluid" throws me, three states of matter gas, liquid, solid. It is hard to be both simultaneously. Maybe we will get a clarification.

·
20,826 Posts
Good point. "Solid fluid" throws me, three states of matter gas, liquid, solid. It is hard to be both simultaneously. Maybe we will get a clarification.
You are 100% right, in it was not proper English.

But very often on the forums that is the case.....and I to am guilty of it.

·
Such a kawi newbie!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys. I changed the oil yesterday morning and rode all day. The clutch felt a tad bit tighter but not how it was. Also, solid means there were no air bubbles in the clutch line. Since the riding season is about over in the midwest I'm gonna start tearing down the clutch system and see if I can get to the bottom of this problem. Thanks for the info so far and I'm checking twice a day for new information. Wish me luck guys!

·
20,826 Posts
Hey guys. I changed the oil yesterday morning and rode all day. The clutch felt a tad bit tighter but not how it was. Also, solid means there were no air bubbles in the clutch line. Since the riding season is about over in the midwest I'm gonna start tearing down the clutch system and see if I can get to the bottom of this problem. Thanks for the info so far and I'm checking twice a day for new information. Wish me luck guys!
There is a chance the oil did damage that only a new clutch will solve.

Avoid those car oils in the future.
I really would stick with shell rotella 15W40 myself, its cheap, change it often, its not good to leave it in there forever unchanged.
Say every couple thousand miles drain and refill.
I see no harm if your going say 2500 miles, but do not try running it for say 6,000 like I have seen done.
While you can do it, its hard on the motor.
Bikes run the motor oil in the gear box and clutch to, and thus break oils down faster than a typical car engine does.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good help guys. It'll be interesting to find what the problem is. Clarity is prose is difficult. Imagine trying to know the difference between conscioueness and conscientoiusness, or even spelling these words.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.