Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All Im having some trouble getting the nut off that holds the clutch
on i made a tool to hold the clutch but its to tight and the nut has had the end knocked to lock it to the shaft i also have tried heating up the nut.

I have just orederd an air ratchet of ebay to see if that gets it off.

any ideas would be great

the bike is
ZXR 750j2

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if you use an air impact AFTER making sure the nut is NOT STAKED (edge of threads bent down to hold nut from vibrating off) it will come right off without holding the clutch hub/basket. you can put it back on the same way (dont go stupid crazy with the impact) this is how ive taken that nut off on just about every bike ive ever owned when i needed to work in that area.
good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...the nut is staked can i use the impact gun straight on the nut...
Also when i put the nut back can i use thread locking agent instead of staking the nut....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Motionpro makes a clutch-basket holder tool that was only 20-25 bucks:

I would follow the manual to-a-T when it comes to choices like using thread-lock in place of staking. Better to endure a little frustration now with a nut, than utter anguish and regret over a grenaded engine later.
-CCinC

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT WITHOUT DRILLING OUT THE STAKED PARTS OF THE NUT !!!! you will screw up the threads.
as for using locktite there is no reason you cant just re-stake it. ive never done either one. i just hit it with the impact and button it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all just letting you know i got the nut off with an air impact gun no problem
cost me £70 to get a nut off never mind it will come in handy cheers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts