Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got any ideas on how to get the f**** clutch hub nut off my GPX600 (ZX600C)
The book quotes the use of a Kawasaki clutch holding tool part No 57001-305.
Made equivalent one at work but the nuts on that tight it won’t budge
I need to strip the motor to replace the primary chain and tensioner
Up to this moment a relative easy job just keeps getting harder
Have snapped a stud of getting the exhaust off and now the clutch what else will go wrong
At this rate I’m not going to have any hair left as I keep pulling it out in handfuls
Any ideas would be appreciated
:!:

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest putting the bike in gear and with a long breaker bar, say 1/2" or 3/4" and the right sized socket, with a pipe big enough to fit over the breaker bar you should be able to get the leverage to loosen the clutch hub nut.

A 3-4 ft pipe should be long enough for the effort you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
due to current bike budget i think ill go with leverage..i ordered the clutch hub holder tool...i was going to make one but i found it for 15 bucks....i was told heat works but I'm kinda scared to take a blow torch to an oil covered bike.....ill tell ya how it goes..thanks

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You're gonna need an impact.

I fought mine for 2 hours before giving up and running to Sears for an electric impact.

Took 15 seconds to remove it once I got back home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah i think your right...i have been fighting it for days now...even bought the special tool to hold the basket(that the book suggested) and used so much leverage that it actually broke the basket and the mighty nut laughs at me unmoved... i was just hoping to not have to spend that much more money...

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
yeah i think your right...i have been fighting it for days now...even bought the special tool to hold the basket(that the book suggested) and used so much leverage that it actually broke the basket and the mighty nut laughs at me unmoved... i was just hoping to not have to spend that much more money...
Wasn't that much really... I don't think my electric impact was much over $60. That holding tool had to have been at least $40.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
uhm if you broke the basket then something aint right........ did you push the lock tabs back off the nut ? are you turing the right direction ? it aint on there that tight that you should break the basket.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
no the tool wasn't that much but i went to sears and the only electric impacts they had were over 200....

and yeah i had the tabs pushed back and was turning the right way...

i finally solved it after a few days of intense soaking with that Pb blaster stuff then a 3ft pipe on my breaker and it turned...

thanks for the help

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
thats nuts........but atleast you used the right stuff (PB BLASTER RULES !!!)
you dont have to tighten it anymore than finger tight in all reality . as long as theres no play in the clutch pack/hub etc. (in and out) then its fine. i usually just hit it real quick with my cordless impact and bend the tabs down...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts