Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 vulcan that has always run beutifully but lately it has started to have an issue with the clutch and i dont think its mechanical. when i let up on the clutch handle before the bike even budges or tries to move the engine dies. It would only do it on initial startup though once i got her going i could put it in nutral and pull the clutch in and it would re-engage just fine without dying. But this morning i could not get it to engage at all as soon as i let up on the clutch it just dies i got the bike rolling down a hill and realesed the clutch completly and opened the throttle and it would do anything it just putted as if i were trying to push start it. Im not sure if i should tear in to the electrical or the mechanical part of the clutch so i need some help here. :shock:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 96 vulcan that has always run beutifully but lately it has started to have an issue with the clutch and i dont think its mechanical. when i let up on the clutch handle before the bike even budges or tries to move the engine dies. It would only do it on initial startup though once i got her going i could put it in nutral and pull the clutch in and it would re-engage just fine without dying. But this morning i could not get it to engage at all as soon as i let up on the clutch it just dies i got the bike rolling down a hill and realesed the clutch completly and opened the throttle and it would do anything it just putted as if i were trying to push start it. Im not sure if i should tear in to the electrical or the mechanical part of the clutch so i need some help here. :shock:
Check your kickstand safety switch, it interacts with the clutch switch so that, in the event you want to take off with the kickstand down, it automatically shuts down the motor, road grime will eventually kill it, you can try cleaning it but more important, you want to make sure it hasn't become disconnected, unplug the two wires coming out of it, and bridge them together to close the circuit, if the bike runs, you have a defective switch, just replace it, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your kickstand safety switch, it interacts with the clutch switch so that, in the event you want to take off with the kickstand down, it automatically shuts down the motor, road grime will eventually kill it, you can try cleaning it but more important, you want to make sure it hasn't become disconnected, unplug the two wires coming out of it, and bridge them together to close the circuit, if the bike runs, you have a defective switch, just replace it, and you are good to go.[/QUOT

Thats not a bad i dea i didnt even think of that and thats usually the first thing i look for is switches

·
Registered
406 Posts
clutch switch

Good suggestion about the side stand switch. Is there a clutch switch too? Probably the mechanicals of the clutch are sound.
Yes there is a micro switch behind the clutch lever, and that switch interacts with the sidestand switch, is a safety feature so that you don't take off while the stand is down to avoid a crash, sometimes age and lack of use will damage the clutch lever switch, but more often is the stand switch the one to go bad, because is under the bike, so road grime, rain,dirt, etc,,, will eventually damage the switch, like i stated before, disconnect the two leads at either switch one at a time, bridge them together just for a temporary test, if the bike runs, the one that allows it to run, while disabled is the deffective one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Side stand switch was the problem

Hit the nail right on the head I went home put the stand up and toggled the switch and sure enough she engaged. It hadnt started doing this till it started getting cold so my guess would be all the oil and dirt start to solidify and hold the switch in so the circuit was statying closed. i cleaned it out sprayed some wd-40 and shes good to go.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.