Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch cable breaks off at the handle barrel end after 4mos on this new pro motion cable. When changing I broke the lever to perch bolt which is 8mm diameter spacer with a 6mm thread bolt coming out at the bottom which has a nut on it when installed on bike lever. I go to order one but the one listed for my bike is only 5/8ths in length from spacer bolt end to where the 6mm thread part comes out. The one that was on my '81 KZ750 LTD is one inch in length to where the 6mm threaded part begins. I'm sitting here with my bike in my garage because of one bolt. Do I have to buy a whole new perch or is there a way to get that longer bolt?
All clutch lever and perchs work on the same principle so would a perch and lever from and old Yamaha work. Anyone know if Kawasaki made a clutch lever perch bolt with a one inch, 8mm spacer end with 6mm threaded end?

·
Registered
265 Posts
What you are looking for is a standard hardware item, although it may be a bit hard to find. It is called an 8mm shoulder bolt, 25mm long. You could get one from Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online part #14240, although the shipping will make it a bit expensive, or try a good local hardware store.
I suggest you measure it carefully, as the one on my bike (which is supposed to be the same part as yours) is 30mm, or part #14241, which is what I am now using.
I've still got the old slightly rusty one if you want to buy it from me :lol:
BTW, I think the shorter one is for the brake lever.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Just about any clutch perch off a bike with 7/8" handlebars will work, just make sure to get one with a threaded hole for the mirror.

By the way, aftermarket cables suck, they don't last very long at all. Stock OEM cables are close to the same price, and last a bunch longer than aftermarket.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Most if not all control cables do not come pre-lubed,either use the special clamp and spray lube in the kit, or do it the old way by forming an aluminum cone around one end of the cable,hang the cable up and pour some heavy weight oil in the cone, letting it run inside the cable for a few hours/overnight.

Put a catch basin/tub for the excess oil(makes for less of a mess,especially if a wife/girlfriend is around).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Excellent feed back. It's why I love this site. I didn't lube the first clutch cable when I got it but I sure did the new cable I ordered from the same place on the net (Bike Bandit). Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong cable...there are only 2 listed at Bike Bandit for my bike but in tiny letters underneath one said '81KZ750(H1). Last time I ordered one from them there was just one listed for my bike so this time I just checked the first box. Turns out it is 6" shorter. But kudos to Bike Bandit CS when I chatted with them about the incident and S&H and return refund while paying for the right part (another 5-7days) they just said we'll go ahead and send you the right part and just forget about returning the other one...even exchange. Wow huh.

And the hardware bolt...I could not find it anywhere in this entire town (Springfield, MO) but it took less than a minute to find it on Bolt Depot.com thanks to Frazier so since I'm now waiting on the new cable again I went ahead and ordered the bolt too. Cheap except for S&H. I will definitely grease the ends and lube the cable before installing it.
My idea before all this with the wrong cable occurred was I would put the cable on, slide the shoulder bolt into place to hold the lever to the perch, though I couldn't tighten it down (threaded end snapped off), and tape it heavily to hold the bolt in place. In my head that should've worked until I got the new shoulder bolt keeping the lever in place...would that have worked. Just curious. Anyway thanks for all the input and advice as I'll use every bit of it.

Hate waiting to get it on the road but it's supposed to rain next 3 days anyway. Thanks...JoeyB

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw Mike Folks...I just cut up 2" above the end of the heavy duty plastic bag the cable came in and took a heavy duty plastic bread tie and twisted it tightly with needle nose around end of cable then put lube oil in slit of other end and it "virtually" didn't leak as a funnell to lube cable. Just saying...I just kept tearing aluminum foil...all thumbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts