Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I have an '06 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and even though i have adjusted the clutch cable and the clutch lever adjustment,the clutch still does not engadge until the lever is almost all the way out. The STEALER told me that after 7000 or 8000mi that is the way it is supposed to be. I don't buy it. Is there an adjustment inside the clutch cover that I could try? Or what should I do? Can anyone recomend a good Dealer or Mechanic in the DFW area?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It is a pretty far reach before it engages and I'm on my 2nd. I kinda ate mine up acting like a jackball in a parade. You can rev your motor all you want, but just don't let out on the clutch to slow it down a bunch, specially if all you're going to do for the next hour is crawl forward.

The question is, in 4th or 5th gear, going up a good grade on the highway, can you rev the motor and have it change speed without your bike changing speed? IS IT SLIPPING?

The gap between contact and free spinning isn't that big. What you have is a group of disks alternating between ones being held by the clutch cage and ones being held by the transmission shaft spinning next to each other. When you pull the clutch you take the pressure off the stack and that allows them to slip past each other. That isn't much travel, just a little past slippage clearance to no slip, 10 thousands really? You're cable is pulling on a lever that rotates a verticle shaft that is notched. The notch pulls the clutch pressure plate off the stack. Something like that anyways. Ron Ayers Fishce/900 clutch Adjust the nut on the handlebars to where you're comfortable. If you need more, there is a second adjuster on the right hand side by the radiator. Either follow the cable down from the handle or up from the clutch on the right side of your bike and you'll find it. Pull the rubber shield back from the top of it and see how much play you have. You can lengthen the cable there to give you more/less slack at the handle.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I've read other posts from 900 owners on this forum complain about the same issue but I have not read if anyone has had a resolution.

I have the same year 900LT and mine is like that it as well. My dealer adjusted the cable in both places all that he could and nothing changed. We are going to replace the cable and see if that works as the clutch is not slipping.

I was reading somewhere that certain other model Kawasaki owners, maybe the 1500's, changed out there clutch spring to a stronger spring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a slight problem myself, and then I bought chrome Barnett cables for the clutch and matching ones for the brakes. I couldn't be happier. The clutch is noticibly easier, and the brakes have no more "spongy" feeling.

Now, if you don't want to do all that, get yourself a decent dealer or just call KAW and tel them it's BS. Nobody would put up with that in ANY vehicle!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right,I would not put up with that in a car. I ride an '08 H-D Road Glide,before that I had an '07 Honda VTX and neither bike was like that. When the VTX got loose I adjusted it,but they told ma at the Dealer it was normal. It was not like that when I bought it.
Still looking for input???????

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
My 900 is the same. Engagement is at the last 1/5 of the lever travel, and there is little freeplay in the lever. Seems to be a 900 thing. If someone has a 900 where the clutch acts differently (engagement at 1/2 travel) let us know.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Johnny.... The dealer is correct. Some interpret the clutch engaging with the lever nearly fully extended as a problem. It isn't and it isn't adjustable (much). The adjustment proceedude is to allow a few mm of play at the lever. Beyond that the clutch is gonna disengage. I see this comment fairly frequently and it is more an issue of misunderstanding how it works rather than a problem. If you are having to pull the lever way in to get it to disengage or if it engages right off the stop, that indicates wear or misadjustment. Rest easy.

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
My 08' does the same thing.. I only have to engage the cluch about 1/4 of the way and it disengages.. It has been that way from the day I bought it in June.. I know have 9500 miles on it and still the same.. I hadnt thought much of it till I rode my brothers 2000LT..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only reason this concerns me is because this is my wifes bike. When she takes off in a slight turn with her hand almost open with the lever out so far,she can't grip the grip as well which amounts to less control over the stearing. Plus,both of my last two bike were nothing like that. I had complete adjustment over the clutch lever. With this I can't.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I would check your cable for stretching. I noticed the same thing this summer and never gave it much of a thought until it was to late. My original cable was a tad tight since I put my Risers and Mini Apes on but it seemed ok. I had noticed that I had adjusted it twice in one month ( once before our holidays and once after ) I just thought my clutch was wearing. Then one night we were 2 hours out of town on a run and it broke. I managed to get it to town by shifting at the proper points ( Once your moving you can do that ) Once replaced the cable it was ok. It still is a ways out before it catches but i'm told thats normal.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The only reason this concerns me is because this is my wifes bike. When she takes off in a slight turn with her hand almost open with the lever out so far,she can't grip the grip as well which amounts to less control over the stearing. Plus,both of my last two bike were nothing like that. I had complete adjustment over the clutch lever. With this I can't.

Tell her to only make left turns. ;)

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I been riding 25+ years and all the METRIC bikes i have owned the clutch was the same as you describe, if it aint broke dont try to fix it

·
:)
83 Posts
i have recently notice the same thing with my 900 classic, just a little tap on the clutch and it will engage right away and same amount to disengage. i also just put the el chipo riser( socket wrench) about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have been riding for almost 28 years and I have had all sorts of bikes and I have never had this problem with any of them. I think I will keep my Harley Davidson,no matter what it has been the best bike overall. If my wife did not love this bike so much I would trade it off,and it is paid for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts