Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Johnny P...

I have an 07 900 Classic LT. Before that, I had an 87 Yamaha Virago XV535. Both clutch engagement points were completely opposite of one another. I rode my yammie for 4 yrs and was very "in-tune" to how my bike operated. I too, was like you and very frustrated with how the clutch on the 900 operated/engaged. It took some time for me to re-adjust and I can honestly say that I prefer not having to squeeze my clutch lever all the way in to engage/disengage my clutch. Give it time....it will grow on you...
take care,
JD

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have found that the non adjusting clutch lever is a bit of a pain.

Adjustable clutch lever thread

The clutch on my '08 900 Classic was slipping and had to be replaced, under warranty. The Kwak dealer said that this was the first time they've had to replace a clutch on a 900. It has been fine and dandy since though. Now if only I could get either an adjustable clutch lever or a brand new XL left hand.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sounds like the cable is too tight. I never paid much attention but I don't think mine is that far. I know if I have the cable adjusted to spec it seems the clutch doesn't engage until the very end of the lever. I have mine a little loose and like it like that, never had any problems with engagement set a little loose.

·
Grünpflanzenmörder
107 Posts
I bought a 07 vulcan 900 six months ago. New rider. Where is the clutch oil reservoir? How do I change the clutch oil? Email is [email protected].
There is no clutch oil Reservoir. It's a wet clucht running in Engine Oil and it uses a cable instead of hydraulic pressure like on the the VN1500, etc.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
55 Posts
HELP!!! I have an '06 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and even though i have adjusted the clutch cable and the clutch lever adjustment,the clutch still does not engadge until the lever is almost all the way out. The STEALER told me that after 7000 or 8000mi that is the way it is supposed to be. I don't buy it. Is there an adjustment inside the clutch cover that I could try? Or what should I do? Can anyone recomend a good Dealer or Mechanic in the DFW area?

FWIW: Had 2 Honda Shadows with clutches like that. Simply replacing the clutch springs with Barnett springs did wonders for feel and engagement. Looks like the 900 has same type 5 coil spring clutch setup as the Shadows vs the diaphram spring my 1500 Nomad had. (which needed to be replaced with the heavier MeanStreak spring...) Should be pretty easy job. side cover gasket and 5 barnett springs. I've heard of guys who don't even drain the oil, just tilt the bike to the left. (And DON'T drop anything down into the crankcase via the oil return holes... be extra careful or block the holes with rags) The clutch spring retaining bolts are pretty soft, (to keep from screwing up the clutch basket) do not overtighten them. I'd just remove and replace the springs one at a time.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts