Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal...

1st.. The clutch lever lets out slow sometimes. I'm thinking either add more fluid or bleed the line for air bubbles.

2nd.. My friend noticed that it was popping out of gear when he hit a big bump... this was after I told him repetedly NOT to try to pop the clutch and do a wheelie. Another kid was trying to show him how to do it. I told him to knock it off and go kill himself another way but don't screw up my bike. I took it out for a spin afterward and I noticed it would pop out of gear if I got the torque up on it. I didn't hit any real bumps but I'm thinking that the plates in the clutch need to be replaced. This is the part that bothers me the most. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do it. The parts are cheap but I'm not sure if I should do it myself or pay someone to do it. What do you think the labor time would be on it? Would I be better off replacing the whole clutch?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if its slipping out of gear then its not your clutch, its either rounded DOGS on the gears, or a problem with the shifting mechanism/drum :?

·
Registered
613 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
if its slipping out of gear then its not your clutch, its either rounded DOGS on the gears, or a problem with the shifting mechanism/drum :?
+1

If it was your clutch slipping you would notice a decrease in power in the high rev range. Definitly sounds like transmission problems. You have to drop the engine, totally dismantle it, and crack the crankcase to figure that one out. I had to do it to my '00 7R a few months ago to fix a shattered gear. If you are weary about putting in new clutch plates I would definitly take the bike in to the shop and have them do it. Get that check book out because it's going to cost ya!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts