Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

CLUTCH problems?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BillyBobby 
#1 ·
my names STEVE i have a 2004 vulcan meanstreak 1600 it runs perfect but the clutch wont disengage ill put in the clutch and drop it into 1st gear the bike gums trying to take off but stalls as if the clutch wasn't pulled in at all. whats wrong with my clutch? i took off the clutch cover and the clutch moves when i pull the clutch in but still when i pull the clutch in and put it in 1st the bikes jumps and stalls. what should i do?

Thanks you STEVE

#3 ·
Like mentioned before, it could be a malfunction of the safety switch of your kickstand.
The safety switch thinks that your kickstand is out, while it's actually just in.
So it stalls when you release the clutch in the first gear, to prevent you from riding with the kickstand out.
If you really need to go ride it.
What you could do is, while the engine is running and in 1st gear, push your bike forward and while rolling release your clutch gently.
Then this safety switch can be overruled...at least that's my experience with my bike.

Also there could be sticky clutchplates like I have.
I have it too sometimes when I start the bike after a day or more.
I engage and disengage the clutch a couple of times before putting it in 1st gear.
That helps.

#4 ·
I'm going to assume the clutch pull feels normal and you don't have a hydraulic/release problem.

Clutch plates can and do stick together after the bike has sat. Some oils seem to aggrevate this. Usually you hold the clutch pulled in for a while with the bike idling. If that doesn't work, with the engine off you put the bike in gear, clutch pulled in, and (vigorously) rock the bike to try and break the plates loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.