Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Vulcan 500 and am wondering if my clutch/transmission is working correctly. I a manual transmission car sitting on an incline,the motor not running,the car in gear and you push the clutch in the car will boll down the incline. The question is does a motorcycle act the same way or would it have to be put in neutral before it would roll doen the incline.I try to move my 500 while its in gear,motor not running and clutch level pulled and it still acts like its in gear.Is this normal.Pretty sure if the motor is running it will roll down the incline if you disingage the clutch. I am still tring to figure out what makes my bike stall the first time I put the bike in gear while having the bike being hel with the brake.Sorry if I confused anyone with the wording of the question.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question, but...

The clutch must be engaged when you put the bike in gear. If you just depress the gear shaft while the bike is running it will jump and then die if the clutch isn't pulled in.

As for rolling. With the engine on or off (doesn't matter) the bike will roll forward or backward when the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you have to pull the clutch to shift,if i pull the clutch lever with the motor not running but its in gear and you try to move in forward /backward it acts just like the clutch is engaged.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
our bikes have several clutches. the pressure exerted on them when engaged will make them stick and feel like its still engaged when you pull the cluthc lever in.
pull the clutch lever in and rock it and you will break the clutch free. i do it every morning at 6am so i can start the bike in gear and roll away as soon as she fires up

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
This is normal, actually some bikes when started cold in gear will lurch foreward till the clutches unstick.

every yamaha i owned has done this kawi hasnt done it to me yet

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took the bike out for about an hour today and turned it off with it in gear(1st) and tried to move the bike and it would not move. pulled the clutch lever and the bike acted like it was in neutral(moved easily). As the bike cooled down it became harder to move in gear with the clutch lever pulled.It appears that as the oil cools and gets thicker it makes it appear like the clutch sticks.This sorta helps explain why the clutch doesn't seem to work when I put the bike in gear the first time after a day or two of setting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope have 10w-40 just like the book says,oil change just before I bought it was done at the dealership where it was purchased. I am thinking about changing oil weight but not sure what to go to just for a test to see if it helps.Oil is the regular stuff not synthetic.

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
The bike should only roll when it is in neutral or you engage the clutch. Yes you will roll backwards on inclines just like a standard car tranny. Definitely check your oil, my 800 takes very little strength to get the clutches unstuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts