Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm new around here.

Spent the whole of a lovely sunny day today trying to change the clutch plates on my 02 meanie. Question - how do you get the darn retaining nut off???

Someone has told me it has a reverse thread, ie turn clockwise to losen. Tried both clock and anticlocwise and it hasn't budged. Is there a special way to get it off?

Anyone had their clutch replaced on their meanie?

I've only done 10,000 miles and the clutch has gone already.

Cheers my lovelys. Simon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
if you are talking about the clutch hub nut, the service manual says to remove it with an air impact. the torque for this nut is 108 ft/lbs. I did not see in the manual that it mentioned anything about which hand the threads were. hope this helps.

Also I would pick up a copy of the service manual, money well spent.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

10k is way to early for a new clutch?

now would be a good time to upgrade the clutch since you got it out
without a impact wrench you'll need a breaker bar and some muscle :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cripes!

108lb of torque! That makes sense as it is more than the engine would make, giving some sort of fail safe.

I'm going to have to get it to a workshop.

Any idea where I can get an upgraded clutch? Kawasaki, EBC etc don't supply anything than the standard cork based plates in UK.

I've got a service manual on order from US as you can't get it in the UK.

Thanks very much for your help both of you.

Si.

PS, a lot of meanies have had clutch problems. Just can't cope with the torque. Most owners upgrade the clutch as soon as it starts to slip. My riding style is to use clutch slip to feather the rear wheel spin (I back it into corners) but this mileage is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think its called a monster clutch - i'll see if i can find the link :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

is it just springs or are the plates shot as well?

the 1500 classic spring is .064+-thickness
the meanie is .070+-
the barnett is .072+-

the classic guys upgrade to the meanie spring
or use the whole barnett clutch for upgrade

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to get the plates off before telling if it is them. They are caramelised with oil on the edges though.

Which spring/s need replacing? I've ordered a kit from EBC so assume I get all of them. There are three similar diaphram ones and then the one with teeth. Then there are around six coiled springs the other side of the plates (although I assume they don't since they push the plates apart, unless they've somehow lenghtened).

Cheers, Si.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doh! If the (ten) coiled springs have weakened/ failed then the plates spin apart, don't they? And I assume they would fail before those tough diaphram springs. Si.

What would squeezing in another plate or diaphram spring do for the Classic or the meanie for that matter? Anyone tried it?

Never too proud to ask!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well done guys!

Nut came off easily once I knew what I was doing.

It comes off anticlockwise. I didn't need anything to force it against, like locking the rear wheel or cluctch basket/ gears from rotating. Just strapped-up the front brake lever to the twist grip (as I do whenever I'm working on the bike) and bought a cheap 12v impact wrench from a hardware store (cost £14.99), connected it to the bike's battery and with a 27mm socket it came off in less than a second.

Not kidding, depressed the trigger on the impact wrench and next thing I knew, there's no nut anymore. It was in the socket and dropped out when I tipped it up so innocently, like 'I didn't do it'!

All that pulling and hammering (me and three mates) for a day and a half and all it needed was a sudden knock. Spoke to Kawasaki this morning before attempting it again (to check if it was a reverse thread) and they said it might be stuck because it is molly-gripped. I don't know if you have that in US but it is a thread locking paste.

Lesson learnt? Don't attempt new jobs in the dark. Wait until you know what you are doing.

Second lesson?? What a rip off dealers are. I was quoted £400 for the job and to do again I reckon it would be no more than 30mins from start to finish.

And finally, the friction plates are like polished black mirrors, completely smooth I can see myself in them.

Cheers, Si.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep-its usually just the springs getting weak the larger springs seem to
help a great deal :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
2nd set of friction plates in 33K miles......last set lasted only 6K miles......oh dear what can the matter be? Weak springs? where ca I get the monster clutch stuff, kevlar friction plates and larger springs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts