Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up the bike for the first time Sunday and went for a little ride. She was wonderful for an hour, but then she started "slipping" when I got into higher RPM's (around 9+). I had to go, so I couldn't investigate more. Later I discovered that the clutch cable where it attaches to the lever was loose. Could this have been causing the problem???

The trans and clutch have all been newly rebuilt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The clutch will slip when the cable is too tight. When the cable is loose it may not disconnect the engine from the gearbox.
I think you go and check with the mechanic.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
ANSWER

NO! Same answer as the last reply. A loose cable wouldn't let you fully engage the clutch, so the bike would Stay in gear or not go into gear...I suspect that you should break out your warranty/repair paperwork and return it to be fixed properly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Chances are slipping is going to be something with the friction(and or steel) plates or the clutch springs not putting enough pressure on the plate stack. If you got your work done at a shop take your bike back to them and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rebuild wasn't done by a shop :x . The guy I bought the bike from and a motorcycle mechanic friend did it. I have the Haynes manual, but I was just wondering if there are any common things that I should check first. :? It almost feels like it is coming out of gear, but doesn't. It's a real quick jump. :?:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
CLUTCH

:cry: IF it's not the clutch...lets hope that it is ONLY the clutch! Take it back over or do it at your place before you miss any really great weather...and sort it out. If it's not the clutch then it's in the transmission...Don't like the slipping idea or sound of it...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just replaced the plates and springs on my bike. It was slipping in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear at high RPM's. This is where the clutch is under the most stress especially under hard acceleration. I would check and make sure the plates were the right ones, and that all the parts were torqued to exact specifications. Also check and make sure the steel plates were put in properly. One thing a manual (I have a Haynes and Kawi) won't tell you is that the steel plates need to be inserted a certain way. There will be a noticably "sharp" edge and a "rounded" one. If you look really close at the plates you will see what I am talking about. It doesn't matter which way you put the plates in as long as you put them all the same direction i.e. all the sharp edges toward the tranny. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts