Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 ZX-6 with aftermarket pipes, jets and K&N filter. It seems like my bike should have a lot more acceleration that it does. In lower gears when I go WOT, the engine makes a hell of a lot of noise but the bike only seems to accelerate mildly. After a bit of hesitation and slow acceleration, it begins to really start to take off.

So, it seems to me that the clutch just isnt holding the power at the lower RPM range. Does that sound right? I know a bit about cars and have built a few engines, but this is my first bike - and I know the clutches are a bit different.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmmmm To be sure I'd take it in to the shop and ask them to take a look.
Shouldn't take 5 minutes

On my zn1100 if I am in 3rd gear and seems like only 3rd gear if I really romp on it the rmps take off like WILD 4k to 6.5k and then the bike starts to excellerate like MAD and since it's a shaft drive the whole bike rises about 2 to 4 inches in height. The rpms fall off a bit and start to climb like normal.
I just love the way this sucker growls though. I always wanted like a nice quiet BMW or something like it till I got this bike.

I love doing this in fact.
I was out for a ride today all bundled up as it was about 45 degrees and some chubby bald with dude in Jeans and a carhart coat with no helmet no gloves and a brand new HD ( had applied for tags on it ) was sorta tailing me into the country where he proceeded to noisily throttle hard past me. " Ah HAH " I thought. " He wants to go fast. " I proceed to drop to 3rd gear from 5th at 50 mph and nail the throttle and scream past. I didn't see him till I was stopped for a about 20 or 30 seconds ( seemed like it ) at a stop sign 5 miles down the road. He either flipped me off or was telling me I was number 1. But he didn't follow me after the sign. :D I know I need to not do that as it is very unsafe but man-O-man does it ever make the blood pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
michiganarft11 said:
I'd first try the plugs, then having the carbs cleaned and synced.
Plugs are new - and wires were checked and cleaned.

Carbs is on my never-ending list of "things to do" - I just havent gotten there yet. I know they need some work because my idle is all over the place - not consistent at all. But it just seems that if the engine rev's properly (since it can clearly be heard) but the bike isnt going along with it, the power must be getting lost somewhere. Only thing I can think of is the clutch slipping - or maybe I am just expecting too much out of this little bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
is this happening in all gears at all speeds or just like taking off like thru 1 2 3 gears

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It mostly happens from launching through the first 3 gears or so. From a stand still, the bike goes, but does not even come close to other similar size bikes (not zx-6's) in their immediate acceleration. It seems that if I launch it from a stop, it should jump a little. My bike doesnt even make an attempt to lift the front wheel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am gonna agree, that doesn't quite sound right. Got a manual for the bike? Clutch with springs should run about $100. or there abouts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I have the manual, and have done a bit of work on it already. Is that all a clutch costs for a bike? ****, that seems cheap.

My hesitation is based on my past wrong ASSumptions. About 6 months ago, my bike was dead. Wouldnt start for anything. So, following the manual, it seemed my ingitor box was bad. I took it to a shop and asked if they could test it and they said the tests are not conclusive - some good ones fail the test and bad ones can pass it. So, hopeing I was right, I bought a new one for almost $300. After putting it in - cleaning the plug wires and coil connections, it started right up. Then I put the old one in and guess what - it STILL strated right up. :roll: I was so pissed - and was out $300 on a part that i still cant sell. So I was hopeing someone else on here would say it sounds similar to a past experience when their clutch was slipping.

Anyone here have or ride on a zx-6 (NOT an R)? I am just curious as to how much acceleration you get from a stop. Can you lift up the front wheel?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The easiest way to test your clutch is :
-Ride bike at low rpm in 6th, open full throttle
-If the engine revs, but your bike didn't pull, you have clutch problem
-Any other result - your clutch is OK

·
Registered
269 Posts
My clutch started slipping today, and is doing how you are describing. If you accellerate easily it will rev normal, if ya romp on it, it will hit about 6,000 rpm then jump up to 10,000 will quick with very little forward motion. And yeah around $100.00 is around what a set friction plates and springs will cost you. They are easy to replace, and I think you will be very surprised with the difference it will make once you replace them. Not real familiar with a zx600 but I would think it should lift the tire in 2nd gear under hard throttle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, just ordered my clutch plates and springs, the damage is $83.00 for friction plates and $9.85 for springs. The plates for mine is about $10.00 more that most because for some reason there is 8 instead of 7 friction plates. Now I just got to wait till Wednesday morning to pick 'em up and r&r my clutch. Almost time for oil change anyhow. :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Turbojosh didn't realize you are in G'ville. Do you know where Phoenix Cycles is? They are usually real reasonable on parts and easy to work with. Haven't been there for a few months but they are really fair and don't try and B.S. ya, like Streits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts